Notices

Robby Woods 32 Skater....

Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Robby Woods 32 Skater....

Hey guys I'm new to the offshore powerboat world and I've got some questions that I'd be very grateful for answers. I've been all over the map from a DCB to a vintage Cigarette and after talking to everyone in the business and how I'd like to build a boat I've decided there is no option for me other than a Skater. Peter has been extremely helpful and eager to work with me. I race off road trucks for a living and also engineer and build them at our shop almost all in house. We have a CNC mill, lathe, and waterjet so I'm going to do most of it myself. Peter has been the only builder seriously interested in reasonably facilitating my project.
So I'll be buying a 32 flatdeck widened 12 inches, full wrap windshield and extended bussell, to accommodate the Arneson #7 drives. We'll be building a pair of injected 700 inch donovan big blocks in house. Rick has also been extremely helpful. So here it goes, please reference the question with your answers I'm super eager to hear your thoughts. Cheers Robby Woods

Engine: I hear that tolerances are much more loose in marine engines do to constant load. What tolerances do people speak of and any examples. How loose?

Closed Loop: Heat exchangers, Who makes them, what do you think of them?

Water Pump: Who makes a solid pump and what are your thoughts on stages?

Cam Shafts: Are there go to manufactures that will sell a proven cam package for the marine industry?

Power Steering: What kind of pump and who makes the best? Or do you prefer helm steering? Why?

Alternators: What are marine specific alternators? How many amps are sufficient?

Exhaust: Cooling before the heat exchangers or after?

Over View: We're going to build the engines as I mentioned before something like a 700 inch injected aluminum big blocks. I am at a loss where to start from a marinizing process from pumps, accessories etc...A loose outline of this would be awesome. Also would you like to see them mounted further forward with trans inboard or rearwards with trans in drives? Weight distribution

Drives: Peter likes the arneson and that was my first choice when I looked into this project. I like the simplicity and lack of drag. Any pros and cons other than the safety of them hanging out the back?

Thanks again I'm sure I'll have more questions as It progresses Please be as detailed as possible and any thoughts outside of what I asked would be awesome!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Registered

This is your first offshore boat, a 3212 Skater with 2000+ hp??? This is a Big step up from a 1986 top gun you wanted in earlier posts. You should just buy the 2012 388SLW, its in the Skater classifieds , it is for sale Cheap

Last edited by offshoresteve; 06-01-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
This is your first offshore boat, a 3212 Skater with 2000+ hp??? This is a Big step up from a 1986 top gun you wanted in earlier posts. You should just buy the 2012 388SLW, its in the Skater classifieds , it is for sale Cheap
It will be a huge step, and the top gun seemed like a cool nostalgic boat to own on impulse if speed wasn't important. I still think the old cigarettes carry a cool history that would be enjoyable. But for the amount of work it makes no sense. I had initially wanted an F32....But it isn't a true off shore boat. And the engines will be severely detuned. I think a true 850 a side would be perfect and reliable. I know there will be a steep learning curve ahead and I have no plans to get in it and run it recklessly, but I do race cars for a living and I'm confident I have more common sense than most people purchasing these boats. The build is what I most look forward to so any advice on the engine would be awesome!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do a search on the topics you have mentioned, there will be a ton of information found.
Big cubes are very unusual in our boats because there are cheaper ways of getting the same horsepower. There are a number of them out there but rare.
I'm not trying to be negative, but there are multiple ways you can make mistakes that will cause a meltdown or more seriously a crash due to mechanical rigging issues.
I'm sure your shop is top notch, but if you actually want to enjoy the boat seriously consider getting some reputable experienced help with it. There are so many little rigging things that can shut you down or be dangerous.
You can do the project, but it may be more heartache than pleasure in the end.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

well definitely need closed cooling with aluminum block's .

do a search here there are a lot of great builder's on this site that mite throw you a bone . the other idea it mite make sense to pay one of these builder to spec, your motor out so you have all the parts and clearance's for a marine application that is very important other wise you will get a boom after spending a lot of money .
just a idea
mike
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby Woods
Hey guys I'm new to the offshore powerboat world and I've got some questions that I'd be very grateful for answers. I've been all over the map from a DCB to a vintage Cigarette and after talking to everyone in the business and how I'd like to build a boat I've decided there is no option for me other than a Skater. Peter has been extremely helpful and eager to work with me. I race off road trucks for a living and also engineer and build them at our shop almost all in house. We have a CNC mill, lathe, and waterjet so I'm going to do most of it myself. Peter has been the only builder seriously interested in reasonably facilitating my project.
So I'll be buying a 32 flatdeck widened 12 inches, full wrap windshield and extended bussell, to accommodate the Arneson #7 drives. We'll be building a pair of injected 700 inch donovan big blocks in house. Rick has also been extremely helpful. So here it goes, please reference the question with your answers I'm super eager to hear your thoughts. Cheers Robby Woods

Engine: I hear that tolerances are much more loose in marine engines do to constant load. What tolerances do people speak of and any examples. How loose?

Closed Loop: Heat exchangers, Who makes them, what do you think of them?

Water Pump: Who makes a solid pump and what are your thoughts on stages?

Cam Shafts: Are there go to manufactures that will sell a proven cam package for the marine industry?

Power Steering: What kind of pump and who makes the best? Or do you prefer helm steering? Why?

Alternators: What are marine specific alternators? How many amps are sufficient?

Exhaust: Cooling before the heat exchangers or after?

Over View: We're going to build the engines as I mentioned before something like a 700 inch injected aluminum big blocks. I am at a loss where to start from a marinizing process from pumps, accessories etc...A loose outline of this would be awesome. Also would you like to see them mounted further forward with trans inboard or rearwards with trans in drives? Weight distribution

Drives: Peter likes the arneson and that was my first choice when I looked into this project. I like the simplicity and lack of drag. Any pros and cons other than the safety of them hanging out the back?

Thanks again I'm sure I'll have more questions as It progresses Please be as detailed as possible and any thoughts outside of what I asked would be awesome!
I will take a stab at this:
I have a 32 B I bought from Pete. He was easy to deal with and is still very responsive a year after the sale. The boat is better than I expected. I race V hulls I have run cats and owned a few raceboat's but this is my first pure pleasure catamaran.

On the engine side there is plenty on spec's if you look on here or you can buy Dennis Moore's big block book. I would talk with Sterling, Eddie Young etc to make sure you get the shortblock optimized.
The go to guy on marine camshafts is Bob Maderia RMBUILDER on here his reputation speaks for itself.

For heat exchangers I would not have a Marine engine without one. I have used Monitor marine in Brooksville Fl they have a great engineering dept and they make parts for many OEM's. Mr Cool on here seems very competent and helpful I have not used him before.

For power steering pumps KRC are fine you want to be sure to have a large gravity fed collection system to prevent pump starvation and air in the system. You will want to cool the fluid on the return side.

For Alternators with fuel Injection you will want over 100 amps of output if you use an all electric fuel delivery system. If you deliver the low pressure fuel supply with a mechanical pump you could go smaller.

I have not had an Arneson boat. It is my belief that the guys at Wilson Custom Marine are the best at implementing Arnesons in the States if not the World. They are third generation racers with a pedigree and reputation that is respected worldwide.
Hope this helps!
Steve
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Skater 32B with Arneson 7 drives.

I can tell you if you want a fun project and great guys to work with, you got it. You are proposing a serious boat that will run extremely fast.

The boat is Carbon Fibre and epoxy, so you are already light. The power to weight ratio is extremely good. The arneson is very easy to repair and work on. You can disassemble the drive yourself in a half hour. The prop shafts are stainless steel.

That boat should run 160 without superchargers.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of not contributung anything to the thread, has anyone seen PR388 or CigaretteSam around lately?

But seriously, that is a huge leap, and there is a lot to running a 160mph boat and keeping it running. Ever consider a starter boat? Single BB cat? Twin OB cat? Just a thought.

Last edited by X-Rated30; 06-01-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok, so you're Robby Woods, the Lucas oil offroad truck team driver?

Sorry if I'm sceptical, but the amount of posing that goes on around here is incredible.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pasquesi
Ok, so you're Robby Woods, the Lucas oil offroad truck team driver?

Sorry if I'm sceptical, but the amount of posing that goes on around here is incredible.
Come on it is the INTERNET it must be true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.