Notices

Robby Woods 32 Skater....

Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robby
His name is Travis Davis and right now he is working with Flippin Racing on their car,I believe he is going to codrive the next race with them.Where are you out of and what lake are you boating on.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby Woods
Thank you! What power plant does your boat have and what would you do different next time around? This is all extremely helpful. From the rigging and drive side, Peter will mount the drives before I pick up the boat. Would you say that having them do it would be comparable to the company you mentioned? Peter says that you want them as low and far inboard to the center of the boat as possible.
I have 525's on Bravo's and the boat runs 116 on the rev limiters almost regardless of load.
On the engines for your boat. Catamarans like RPM's I have seen cases of guys running them 1000 RPM past the the HP peak and the GPS is still climbing. The 700" engines will be huge torque but you will need prop speed either with gearing and or big pitch wheels with out rpm. Idle speed, dock manners etc can get a little brutal with these setups. You may want to think about a shorter stroke so you can rpm the engines for long periods of time. I have a 5450 Max RPM and 5550 rev limiter and it is frustrating. If I were building this boat I would keep it very light (spartan rigging etc) have power steering pumps on both engines with a priority valve and engines that were durable at 6200 RPM or more. You will not need much horsepower to push that boat with light rigging and aluminum engines but you will still want rpm's for sure.
Pete will absolutely know where to put the drives but I would still talk with Wilson they have a vast knowledge and talent base.
Steve

Last edited by smiklos@sunprint; 06-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

That's me as you may know although it's growing and we can do ok financially through Racing and the TV package... Off road racing Ist going to put me on Forbes list anytime soon. I really look forward to building a boat with our flare, I think it will be rad. If you have any advice beyond the forum email me [email protected]
I'm sure with all that you know, who you know, and your driving skills your boat will be bad a s s when its done. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey I will email you, so you have my contact info.

We can talk, but I would not do too much different for this size boat. Jeff Muchin another customer of Riks did a very similar 32B project as well. His boat ran 165 mph with the 950 blower motors. Dale is on here as Skater 30 another customer of Riks with a cut down deck. That boat is extremely fast as well. You can watch his contour video at 140, I think.

I built my own motors. The cranks, Oliver Rods and JE pistons all came from Callies crank shop who built cranks for Dart tall deck 10.2 block 4.6 bore by 4.5 stroke 580 CI. One dominator 1050 carb, 5 inch exhaust. Motors make about 690hp at 6000RPM. I turn 18x33 pitch 5 blades throuh 1.32 gear ratio Arneson ASD 7M. I use my boat to go swimming, the restaurants and run all over.

Skaters, feel like they want to keep going faster and faster. They feel the same at 100 as they do at 120 up.

The boat planes at 12 mph which you can go through no wake zones if you wanted to. It planes in about 2.5 seconds. At slow speed the boat maneuvers very good, it is very enjoyable.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pro1
Hey I will email you, so you have my contact info.

We can talk, but I would not do too much different for this size boat. Jeff Muchin another customer of Riks did a very similar 32B project as well. His boat ran 165 mph with the 950 blower motors. Dale is on here as Skater 30 another customer of Riks with a cut down deck. That boat is extremely fast as well. You can watch his contour video at 140, I think.

I built my own motors. The cranks, Oliver Rods and JE pistons all came from Callies crank shop who built cranks for Dart tall deck 10.2 block 4.6 bore by 4.5 stroke 580 CI. One dominator 1050 carb, 5 inch exhaust. Motors make about 690hp at 6000RPM. I turn 18x33 pitch 5 blades throuh 1.32 gear ratio Arneson ASD 7M. I use my boat to go swimming, the restaurants and run all over.

Skaters, feel like they want to keep going faster and faster. They feel the same at 100 as they do at 120 up.

The boat planes at 12 mph which you can go through no wake zones if you wanted to. It planes in about 2.5 seconds. At slow speed the boat maneuvers very good, it is very enjoyable.
I'd really appreciate that if you could email me your contact info! I'm glad to see that there are other gear heads out there building boats. Don't get me wrong I'd love to call Teague and have him send me a pair of 1500's to Skater and pick up a new 46 finished ready for the water but It's not within my means and building it is. Where is the gear reduction done with the arneson in the trans? Again thanks for all your valuable info. How loose are the tolerances that the boat guys speak of?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Hey Rob no problem. Gear reduction is done in the Arneson gear box. 1.32

Tolerances vary for ring end gap and the cam bearings need to be pinned for an aluminum block which expands during operation.

Building 598 to 700 cu inch aluminum motors with your own customer made thin wall stainless steel freshwater heat exchangers would be the cats meow.

This is the part I can not figure out with the new merc 1350 and 1100. That is a raw water cooled aluminum block aluminum head motor. That motor used would be worth nothing. salt water is very hard on aluminum.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered

The new Merc 1100 and 1350 are closed cooled.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd really appreciate that if you could email me your contact info! I'm glad to see that there are other gear heads out there building boats. Don't get me wrong I'd love to call Teague and have him send me a pair of 1500's to Skater and pick up a new 46 finished ready for the water but It's not within my means and building it is. Where is the gear reduction done with the arneson in the trans? Again thanks for all your valuable info. How loose are the tolerances that the boat guys speak of?
I have 2 sets of 1500 Sterlings for sale. Quad whipple EFI and PSI with carbs. Selling cheaper than the parts cost to build your own
Old 06-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Robbie,
Cubes are your friend, but when you get that many you have to get into big chief style heads which are not nearly as durable as the conventional BBC heads. Intakes probably need to be fabricated. You Will have different rigging concerns with clearance on the sides. Price of short block components will be extremely high. A Nice supercharged 540-598 would be cheaper unless you have All the parts lying around.
Maintainence and longevity are going to revolve around your valvetrain. How long dó you want to go between rebuilds?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tantrum
The new Merc 1100 and 1350 are closed cooled.
That is very cool did not know that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.