BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts

Notices

BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts

Old 06-29-2012, 11:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nkosi
You can do any of those things or any combination thereof in the BVI. If you're not into sailing, the Moorings Yacht Charter Company also offeres powered Kats (37' and 47') that will get you around a lot faster and in great comfort. A few other companies like Virgin Traders also offer powered yachts. You could do a week on the water and then rent a nice house or villa for the other two weeks. I would recommend staying on Virgin Gorda for a great selection of villas, restaurants, and an amazingly quaint and friendly environment. There are several companies that rent small center consoles in the 21' - 30' range. You can also do day charters if that suits you better. With three weeks you will be able to do and see tons of stuff and visit all the islands Jos Van Dyke, Anegada, Tortola, Cooper, Norman, etc. Peter Island Resort, Bitter End Resort or Little Dix Bay are all really nice places to stay on the higher end. Scrub Island resort is also really nice and is now a Marriott Autograph property which is great if you are on their rewards programme. There is some good information on the BVI Tourist Board website...www.bvitourism.com...but feel free to contact me if you need any help or suggestions. Hope this helps.
Well said so no sense my repeating this. BVI has my vote as well !! Having a rental boat gives the freedom to visit any of the islands when you want. Lots to see and do in the BVI and weather is nice and fairly predictable as well.

Bob
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Austin
www.lubberslanding.com we have already hosted two forum members and they had a great time. Each cottage can be packaged with a center console boat to run around the islands. I'll also throw in a day out in the Pantera 28' touring the local beach bars. Let meknow if you have any questions.
My fiance and I just spent a week down with Austin and Amy at Lubbers. It was a fantastic time, super secluded, absolutely beautiful location, and just great people to hang out with. We had a 21' Dusky center console the whole week and had a blast.

I would highly recommend that area, even if you dont stay with them. We will be going back next year around this time again.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from the BVI last week. 8 of us rented a 44 foot sail boat from SunSail out of Tortola and sailed around the islands listed above for 8 days. All I can say is it was one of the best vacations we have ever taken.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for sailing in the BVI. Be sure to check Voyage Charters out of Sopers Hole on Tortola. We did a 50" cat in January and it was awesome. Of the five trips I have made, their boats have been the nicest.

The latest trip was a guys only trip to celebrate four of us turning 50. We kept a blog all week

http://www.bvi50.blogspot.com/

Be sure to click "older posts" at the bottom of the page to get to the second page.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

It seems that the weather in the BVI is more predictable in January. I don't have any interest in a sailboat, so we will probably do a trawler if we make the trip. For those that have done it, where do you moor at night? can you anchor or do you rent a mooring ball? How do you get onshore and back?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

36Tango- mooring balls are everywhere. I think Saba Rock has 18, and it looks like Bitter End (on the right in the photo below) has a few. There are endless protected coves where you could drop anchor- the place really is a boater's paradise.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
What's up Bonz. The Apache is looking great!
Whats up brotha! Thanks for the kind words... We were thinking about our trip not to long ago... Cant forget the mayo jar!
Jr.
Attached Thumbnails BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-133.jpg   BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-140.1.jpg   BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-004.jpg  

BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-025.1.jpg   BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-203.jpg   BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-258.jpg  

BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-302.jpg   BVI, Bahamas, Carribean vacation thoughts-hoonymoon-abacos-301.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Does anybody know of any decent trawler rentals in Florida? We have discussed renting one for a shorter period some time this winter.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulling this thread back up...

My wife's 50th is this November and we're planning a week vacation somewhere warm. Been looking at Hawaii but afraid my 1 week time off from work isn't enough. Thoughts on the islands closer to home this time of year. Austin's and Staniel Cay both look perfect for what we want to do but is the Bahamas far enough south the second week in November to be able to swim and enjoy the water?

Thanks,

Sidney
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to see someone else pulled this thread up.

We are doing our 1st charter/1st trip to the BVI late April and this was the initial Itinerary that was suggested. Anything on this plan we should skip?? Anything we should include that is must do/must see that isn't on it?? Suggestions and thoughts much appreciated. I was given complete freedom to modify the itinerary by the captain

Day 1: Embark from Yacht Haven Grand in St. Thomas for St. John. Tonight the anchor will drop in Leinster Bay but first perhaps a quick trip to Waterlemon Cay, which according to many offers the best snorkeling on St John. Leinster Bay is situated within a national park and the fact that there are no lights ashore means the stars appear especially bright.

Day 2: It is a quick trip around the end of St. John and into the waters of the BVI to clear customs at Sopers Hole, Tortola. Soper’s Hole is a charming harbor and is said to have been the residence of Blackbeard when he was living in the British Virgin Islands. That afternoon it’s a short trip to Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke Island to anchor for the night. A visit to Foxy’s Bar is a must.

Day 3: After a leisurely breakfast on board, head across to Norman Island and anchor in the Bight. Snorkel the Caves. It’s a short ride in the tender over to the Willy T, a 93′ replica of a Nova Scotian trading schooner that serves as a floating pub for cocktails.

Day 4: In the morning, cruise to the Peter Island Resort, the largest private island in the British Virgin Islands. Enjoy lunch and a spa for the ladies experience. Spend the afternoon exploring the world famous Baths of Virgin Gorda, a spectacular series of exotic pools and grottoes formed from giant boulders. In the evening, enjoy an drink at the nearby Little Dix Resort, built by Rockefeller.

Day 5: Set sail for Beef Island to drop off guests at the airport and motor to Salt Island to snorkel at the famous shipwreck of the Rhone. The wreck of The Rhone is a famous dive site. Located off Salt Island, the R.M.S Rhone (Royal Mail Steamer) went down in 1867 in a hurricane. One of the first iron ships built, the Rhone still had the graceful lines of a sailing ship, while outfitted as a sail-steamer from the early days of these ships.

Day 6: Enjoy a beautiful cruise back up between the islands, to cross over to the USVI and anchor at Caneel Bay. Caneel Bay Resort. The resort grounds were once the site of a 17th century sugar factory. A short trip on the tender will bring you to the sugary sand of Honey Moon Beach, for a beach picnic.

Day 7: Enjoy a scrumptious brunch on board before departing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.