Notices

Noise Complaint Problems

Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be able to fight the ticket just on the fact it was not metered properly. Most follow federal regulations the state 1 meter back and 1 meter off the water. There can be nothing directly behind the boat to reflect the sound.

If the level is 90db and you metered 105, you are actually 5 fold over the limit. Every 3 db is double. Although in hearing terms you are about twice as loud. But don't feel bad as I metered mine once at 113db.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

LOTO is 90db at idle. They do enforce it to certain extent. Better check your ticket amount. I think its $123 plus some court costs also. I know a few people who have gotten tickets for it. I have never heard of anyone actually being towed for noise violations, but I have heard about the WP saying that they could tow if they saw the boat out again.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:42 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
Yet a Harley can drive through my neighborhood, at night, where I sleep, with higher decibel readings than that at all times. I have not read or heard of anyone in Texas getting this sort of citation, but the fact that it happens at all is terrible.
Oo it happens a lot to the fokes I hang around. But with a jet boat and a big engine with pipes hanging there its asking for trouble. Key note for Texas is don't be a jack ass and they usually won't mess with you. But there are a few cops that do have a thorn in there rear end.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Yet a Harley can drive through my neighborhood, at night, where I sleep, with higher decibel readings than that at all times. I have not read or heard of anyone in Texas getting this sort of citation, but the fact that it happens at all is terrible.
They have a bigger lobbying effort, us boaters don't do jack.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 575cat
Yah the straight pipes on bikes I will never figure that out , never seen one get stopped even when they got the towns with the posted noise laws are in effect ???
"Loud pipes = little pee-pees"
Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the lakes around here the tickets go up in amount each time you get one. Ticket #3 on a particular lake gets you towed/impounded.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

The enforcemment practices at LOTO is what inspired me to come back to the factory and tell the guys we need to come up with something. Too many customers showing up at the lake with loud boats and either getting a citation or being asked to leave.
That's when we came up with our underwater exhaust system which Mercury in turn copied.

When I lived in MO in the mid 90's I would attend the State's hearings on noise laws. We fought them with everything we could but to no avail.
The fact is most people that live on or enjoy the water hate loud boats. You might as well get used to it and do what you can to make them comply. Yep the bike guys can still get away with but we can't. Not fair but that's the way it is.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Registered

The bikes don't bother me near as much as the douche in a 84 Caprice with subs so loud his license plate rattles! You can hear them blocks away!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CrownHawg
The bikes don't bother me near as much as the douche in a 84 Caprice with subs so loud his license plate rattles! You can hear them blocks away!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

I received 3 "excessive" noise tickets before I modified the external exhaust pipes to 1) exit between the drives and 2) exit the exhaust under water at idle. The idea as to why we moved the pipes between the drives was to have the drives shield them so the exhaust noise was contained there and not allowed to radiate outward. It worked beautifully and was not stopped again.
Attached Thumbnails Noise Complaint Problems-55-chev-068.jpg   Noise Complaint Problems-55-chev-071.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.