Notices

Noise Complaint Problems

Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise Complaint Problems

This summer we have been running our 46 OL at Lake of the Ozarks. This past weekend got pulled over because the boat "sounded loud" even though the water patrol didn't have the decibell reader on his boat, he then called another patrol boat to come do the test. That's fine and all its only a $123 dollar ticket, but the problem is the patrol said that he knew who we were now and would continue to pull us over every single time we go out until we got it fixed. Just wondering if anyone has gotten multiple tickets and just dealt with it. The cop also said that he has the right to tow the boat off the lake? We don't want the situation to escalate to the boat being towed and or being taken to jail over the situation because that was also a threat(lets just say this particular cop did't like us very well). So just curious if any of you that run down there get pulled over on a regular basis. We have had boats too loud before, but it has been a few years and it just seems like it has gotten a lot stricter lately

Last edited by ChadB; 07-17-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

What was your decibel reading? And at how many feet (distance) was that reading taken? I am curious.

As far you you being towed and removed from the water for what reason, too loud? I do not practice law in that state but I would find it hard to believe he has the authority to tow you for being too loud, to tow you for defying the law that he had previously informed you of maybe.

And to make a claim you must be towed for a public safefty issue (which may be his fallback position) would be outright horse****. I do not see the nexus of being loud and public safety to aadvance his towing you scenario (I am just thinking of other outcomes and excuses by the officer). Sounds like a cop(s) with a chip on his shoulder.

Get mufflers, go boating, enjoy your boat and the rest of summer. You certainly do not want to be the target of law enforcement, but in a 46' Skater you will never blend-in. I
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

105 about 5 feet off the back of the boat LOL
Old 07-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Registered

Default Yes, it does seem there are more...

...complaints from boaters about enforcement of noise issues.

Not only can they cite you, they can have the boat taken off the water and can impound the boat. In many jurisdictions if they make you appear, the fines can become rather stiff if you have been told to muffle and you ignore and keep using it.

I am making it sound 1-2-3 and there is a little more to it, but this is basically what can happen.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this country is going to hell one stupid law at a time
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by pstorti
this country is going to hell one stupid law at a time
There should be a law against making any more laws.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
There should be a law against making any more laws.
Can we make this retro-active?

Seriously, I understand the need for many of the laws, but things are getting a little crazy. The problem is threefold in my opinion:

1) Politicians pass laws to pander to voters they're courting

2) People are generally doing a lot of really dumb things that force politicians to pass laws to stop them.

3) Cops and other officials are often genitalia when it comes to enforcing laws that should really be applied selectively to deal with people who are actually a problem.

And #s 2 and 3 feed off each other. If you get hassled for crap, you lose respect for the law. If people are idiots, the cops get frustrated and tougher.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChadB
105 about 5 feet off the back of the boat LOL
That is around 4 times too loud. I think 90 db is the limit for that test. As noted above, they expect you to take it directly to the dock or ramp and not run it until it is quiet. They will make life a pain until you fix it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered

Yet a Harley can drive through my neighborhood, at night, where I sleep, with higher decibel readings than that at all times. I have not read or heard of anyone in Texas getting this sort of citation, but the fact that it happens at all is terrible.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jay Gadsby
Yet a Harley can drive through my neighborhood, at night, where I sleep, with higher decibel readings than that at all times. I have not read or heard of anyone in Texas getting this sort of citation, but the fact that it happens at all is terrible.
Yah the straight pipes on bikes I will never figure that out , never seen one get stopped even when they got the towns with the posted noise laws are in effect ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.