Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover >

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Notices

Fountain @ LOTO passengers injured in near rollover

Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

looks like the throttles get push forward and bent,by one of the girls, you can see its trying to take off again by the rooster tail at very end
Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DucBoy
There are a lot of lessons that can be taken from this and we should each take them to heart. One of the passengers has posted several times that all involved are active in our sport and OSO members. With that in mind, some lessons I take are this:

If I am the captain:

1. I will operate my vessel in a safe manner consistent with my skill level and the conditions.
2. I will always wear my lanyard.
3. If in a high performance mode, I will wear a life jacket and offer the same to all on board.
4. If I am in a group event/poker run, I will insist that all aboard wear life jackets.
5. I will not overload my boat for conditions - if in high performance mode, one person, one bolster.

If I am not a captain:

1. I will not ride if my captain does not wear his lanyard.
2. I will not ride if I am not comfortable that my captian is up to the task at hand, either because of alcohol (not a factor here), lack of skill, or lack of self control.
3. If it is a performance/group ride, I will wear a life jacket.
4. I won't hesitate to ask my captain to slow down or let me off if I become uncomfortable with his driving - feelings heal, sometimes people do not.

Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery to all involved and thank you for sharing - I am involved with an annual poker run out of Cleveland and will seriously consider showing this at the mandatory driver's meeting next year.

good post, situational awareness is also a responsibility of a passenger as well.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've seen more than one person at LOTO get caught off guard by a set of rollers they didn't see coming until they were right on top of them. If you get tunnel vision and are just looking at the water directly in front of you then you can miss that Bluewater, Carver, Sea Ray, etc. that just crossed the lake in front of you or passed you on the opposite side of the lake. You don't see any white water as the rollers don't break. All of the sudden you go from confused cross-chop to a set of 3 massive rollers that you are already past the point of setting up for. Not saying that is the case here but it could very well have been what happened. You not only have to pay attention to the water in front of you but also what boats are running around you and prepare for the water you know is going to be coming your way but you cannot yet see.
"Good call" Only someone that has his boat under control and is running a "safe speed for conditions" will see all of the above.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
Think he already did respond. Just had to read between the lines to see his thoughts. Least I came away thinking he said enough. Wasn't possible cruisers or their wakes at fault, and can't blame the step hull of any particular boat. Pure Driver error, and total lack of taking ANY saftey precautions from the start. Video speaks volumns of a total lack of GOOD judgement from the get go to the spin out.
It was a accident that was easily preventable and one that could have had a even much worse outcome if not for some pure luck.
I thought this was Tres's only response:

Originally Posted by Tres
I will answer for you guys today, just slammed geting ready for a trip.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 601 Likes on 244 Posts

WAKE SLAMS BOAT

Coming up on CNN right now
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I thought this was Tres's only response:
As you ask, I will only mention 1 of the reasons for loss of control, many factors play into but this could have been avoided. The throttle motion used and release of the throttle,(power) cause weight to shift forward, physics allow stern weight and weight from cockpit loaded with passengers to continue forward motion. result is stern wants to pass bow as forward nose has become parasitic to water, exagerated from vessel taking false keel on both sides. sorry for delay but done this while in airport. Safe boating!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

As you ask, I will only mention 1 of the reasons for loss of control, many factors play into but this could have been avoided. The throttle motion used and release of the throttle,(power) cause weight to shift forward, physics allow stern weight and weight from cockpit loaded with passengers to continue forward motion. result is stern wants to pass bow as forward nose has become parasitic to water, exagerated from vessel taking false keel on both sides. sorry for delay but done this while in airport. Safe boating!
Thanks Tres.....safe travels today!

So the boat's momentum was lurching forward and the stern didn't stay planted so when the waves started knocking it around it went around.....

BTW- Yahoo.com homepage has this as a lead story now with the video.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:33 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

If you get a chance can you clarify "false keel"? Is that when the boat heels over and is riding on its hard chine? Thanks
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
If you get a chance can you clarify "false keel"? Is that when the boat heels over and is riding on its hard chine? Thanks
When hullside and bottom outside edge become the running surface. They just showed it on CNN at airport, This video is getting more popular then elections.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

It looked to me like he thought the boat would just go thru anything he came across and just tried to power thru it,not much finess on the throttles just violent actions.I cannot belive he was full throttle and had his hand off the sticks.Looked like the girl in the green hit the windshield with her chin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.