Broke lower gear set
17.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Bravo XR drive breakage

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 AM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo XR drive breakage

Taking a survey as to what you have personally had happen to your XR drive if it broke.

I need to know what failed first, not the other parts it took out in the process.

I am working on an improved upper gear set and also think the lowers are an issue for some as well.

Thx
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

The lowers seem to last longer then the uppers by a pretty good margin, you'll twist a prop shaft off before you loose the gears. I think in the upper the case is the problem though, not so much the gear set. Once you get any kind of HP and the case starts to deflect it game over for any gear set.

In mine i scrubbed teeth off the upper gear set on the left hand drive. Also noticed the top cap bolts were finger tight leading me to believe they had stretched and lost tolerance. Didne really take anything else out but the gear.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-20-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

On the boats I deal with,,,,, I would say about 3 to 1 uppers to lowers
Old 12-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Your poll is wrong.

Should be:
Broke XR Upper gears 1 time
Broke XR Upper gears 5 times
Broke XR Upper gears more than 10 times
The following users liked this post:
242LS (08-13-2023)
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I dont know about you guys, but Merc never should have done away with the TRS drives........ Of course they would have never made millions selling replacement equipment for the bravo drives------ like hooking up twigs to a tractor motor and expecting them to last....

Jim

Last edited by cigboat1; 12-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

imo,3 problems with xr uppers,1 the cases flex,gear contact pattern changes and then the teeth break.2,due to the physical size of the gears,it can only handel app 500 hp.3,the quality of material used in the gearsets is horable,no wonder they fail.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1
I dont know about you guys, but Merc never should have done away with the TRS drives........ Of course they would have never made millions selling replacement equipment for the bravo drives------ like hooking up twigs to a tractor motor and expecting them to last....

Jim
when products are driven by marketing rather the engineering thats what ya get . . . . .

I agree would have loved to see a second generation TRS type drive. Simple robust drive with a solid trans for six to eight hundred hp range . . . . or in other words Konrad
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by cigboat1

Jim
and this is the issue everyone wants to gloss over. the Bravo was engineered to handle less than 400 hp in a light runabout. its was created so they could put big blocks in runabouts because the Alpha could not handle it. Unfortunatly all the manufacturers wanted them because they dont have a transmission and they could move the back seat back and have a bigger cockpit. because they did that they kept telling Merc to make it handle more power because they already built molds and did not have room for a trans for a TRS or Speedmaster. as a result there is now no step from a crappy Bravo to a #6. it does not matter what you do with gears, the next weak link (and there are a lot at the power everyone wants to run) will show up (gimble, shafts, housing, etc). as Jim said "twigs hooked to a tractor motor".
The following users liked this post:
105Fountain (08-13-2023)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Only have had 1 of my lower sets go and 1 lower set
on a friends boat...have a pile of uppers tho.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XR gears in an IMCO case , upper gears pitted and started going away . But that's with about 850 HP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.