Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been boating my entire life, lived in Parker Az, and in lake Havasu. I've seen some of the nicest boats imaginable with all the state of the art technology, biggest power, nicest paint jobs ect. But when i hear what they have invested in them it blows my mind!!

No matter how hard I try to wrap my mind around it I just don't see 500k-800k sitting in the water. Don't get me wrong, they drop my jaw every time I see one !!

For that kind of money, I see a nice house that will last me a lifetime with a few cars in the drive, all of wich would be paid in full !!

Rick
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
You do know you could build comparable power to Merc for less than half the cost. On each package they sell...
True, very true. But were talkin new boats here. Just try and sell a new boat with anything but a motor from Merc.

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3

No matter how hard I try to wrap my mind around it I just don't see 500k-800k sitting in the water. Don't get me wrong, they drop my jaw every time I see one !!

For that kind of money, I see a nice house that will last me a lifetime with a few cars in the drive, all of wich would be paid in full !!
Rick
I do agree that the numbers are mind bending though. When I think of an eight hundred thousand dollar boat I then think what kind of house would that buy? Are there equal amounts of time, materials and labor in both? I actually do know why each costs what it does but on the surface it's still mind bending
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 12-20-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been boating my entire life, lived in Parker Az, and in lake Havasu. I've seen some of the nicest boats imaginable with all the state of the art technology, biggest power, nicest paint jobs ect. But when i hear what they have invested in them it blows my mind!!

Rick

Ahh, yes u could but u would not be on the water!! And probably pay a whole lot more in taxes!!

Guaranteed, the guys buying those boats new already have a garage full of whatever they want also!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Donziben
Ahh, yes u could but u would not be on the water!! And probably pay a whole lot more in taxes!!

Guaranteed, the guys buying those boats new already have a garage full of whatever they want also!
Haha...
No, I'll keep my little Baja, And I guarantee there fuel cost and repairs are more than my taxes are per year!!.

Yeah, there is no doubt they have all the cool toys !!

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, there is no doubt they have all the cool toys !!
Some do and some did.......
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
True, very true. But were talkin new boats here. Just try and sell a new boat with anything but a motor from Merc.
you could sell it to me....I hate Mercury. It would be interesting to see a dealer have two identical boats side by side on his sales floor, one with Merc power and one with aftermarket and see the buyers reaction when they see the price difference. Aftermarket companies need to sell/advertise more eng/drive "packages" and advertise the savings more in the media. That's the only way prices will ever come down. Anyone have a guess to what the diff would be with two 525 packages?

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 12-21-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by glassdave

I do agree that the numbers are mind bending though. When I think of an eight hundred thousand dollar boat I then think what kind of house would that buy? Are there equal amounts of time, materials and labor in both? I actually do know why each costs what it does but on the surface it's still mind bending
Exactly, I see more in a home than I do in a boat for that kind of money!

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by boatnt
Some do and some did.......
That's funny! I had to read it twice!!

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just saw a 35 DCB M35 2009 for $550k for sale by owner, i just dont see itI think of my lil 25 OL, it seats the same amount of people, floats, loud, my boats does 80 plus, but yet his boat is 500k ( half a million )more than mine.. I just dont see it...

Again, not bashing, I would take that boat in a second if someone gave it to me !

Rick
Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Fact is, less then 1% of the boats registered in the us are performance boats. Its a special, one off, custom product. If you want one, it will cost. Unique items are always expensive, then you add the fact that they are performance based and the cost goes up 10 fold. HP costs money, how fast do you want to go......lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.