Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why are high performance boats so expensive! >

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Notices

Why are high performance boats so expensive!

Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ones on the left cost a lot to maintain. The one on the right cost way more.
Attached Thumbnails Why are high performance boats so expensive!-img_3151.jpg   Why are high performance boats so expensive!-rachle-york.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by professor_speed
OK show just me one non GM built marine engine that has lasted 520 hours at wot? most won't make 520 hours with 90% of the time under 3k and 10% at wot. My point is that is the type of testing that O.E. do.
I don't have marine data of testing. Do you have auto data for testing? I don't know what Indmar does, Ilmor does, Volvo does or Merc etc does but I don't agree with the idea that marine has to do the same tests that auto does.

Sure the O.E. will test as you say and when another packager, if we can call them that, uses the product then the test does not have to be done again since the data has already been recorded. All of the test data will be used by engineers/builders for determining performance parameters. For example a cast internal bbc will have a marine limit of 4800rpm but a forged internal engine will have a higher rpm limit based on the material strength of the components used. If a dimple rod forged crank motor built for a Vette is tested for the data and that same set up is put in a boat then the comparisons are the same. When the marine world uses that block or heads but changes everything else inside they already have the test data from the tests you mentioned so testing over again is redundant. Marine is going to test the areas they don't have data for but that doesn't mean the testing of either one is better or that marine does not test. Rather it is different for the needs of the industry.

Last edited by aquaforce; 12-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

I read somewhere that Mercury test their supercat racing engines for 24 hrs @ 7000 rpm try that with a chevy
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
The ones on the left cost a lot to maintain. The one on the right cost way more.
Haha!! Your a lucky man if the one on the right lets you have those twins on the left!!

Rick
Old 12-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered

ROFL
I've always heard, it's cheaper to keep her.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Haha!! Your a lucky man if the one on the right lets you have those twins on the left!!

Rick

Good point.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

I read somewhere that Mercury test their supercat racing engines for 24 hrs @ 7000 rpm try that with a chevy

Merc predominately uses the Chevy product design and since, as I understand, Merc bought GM's BBC program out they have test data that they can use and build on that to apply stresses from water and displacement detonation, shock load etc. Running a test stand engine gives one set of data but the data loggers used in the actual racing event will give some of the best test data since it is gathered in an actual racing event of max stress levels and all the variations that go with it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Merc predominately uses the Chevy product design and since, as I understand, Merc bought GM's BBC program out they have test data that they can use and build on that to apply stresses from water and displacement detonation, shock load etc. Running a test stand engine gives one set of data but the data loggers used in the actual racing event will give some of the best test data since it is gathered in an actual racing event of max stress levels and all the variations that go with it.
The supercats are Dart blocks with all the goodies inside
Attached Thumbnails Why are high performance boats so expensive!-img_2440.jpg   Why are high performance boats so expensive!-img_2441.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered

The supercats are Dart blocks with all the goodies inside

That Dart pic looks like the siamesed version. Very nice. Merc doesn't use a wet sump for racing as in your pic do they?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Here they are in the race boat

Originally Posted by aquaforce
That Dart pic looks like the siamesed version. Very nice. Merc doesn't use a wet sump for racing as in your pic do they?
Yes they are dry, I converted mine to wet. Here is a photo when they were in my 32' Velocity, It was a 100MPH ride but you had to clean the poop out of your drawers when you got thru. I have since added Whipple 3.3's for the 35' Ocean express the photo with the blowers.
Attached Thumbnails Why are high performance boats so expensive!-dsc_0041large.jpg   Why are high performance boats so expensive!-img_3153.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 12-26-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.