Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered? >

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Notices

Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Benefits of US Coast Guard Documented boat over state titled/registered?

what are the pros and cons?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Pros

Standard paperwork
1) lien release
2) bill of sale
3) renewal is very easy
4) boat is stolen its the feds responsibilty to find it

Cons
1) Takes awhile if never documented before.
2) You have to use their documents not home made documents
3) Feds can take your boat durning a war

I only document my boats, that are size worthy
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

neg . no stickers on youre boat subject to being hurassed . looking for registration time n time again . better not drink
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
neg . no stickers on youre boat subject to being hurassed . looking for registration time n time again . better not drink
In Texas we still have to get the sticker but no numbers, never fails always getting pulled over to confirm the boat is documented....
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Mine is only 28'. In Michigan boats are titled and have a spot on them for lien holder, release of lien. Its already documented with the last owner but thinking of just going with a state title.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drock78
Mine is only 28'. In Michigan boats are titled and have a spot on them for lien holder, release of lien. Its already documented with the last owner but thinking of just going with a state title.
If it is already documented it is very easy to transfer ownership. Just use the Coast Guard Bill of Sale off their website.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
In Texas we still have to get the sticker but no numbers, never fails always getting pulled over to confirm the boat is documented....
those are my thoughts exactly! where i boat majority of the time, they are very eager to pullover boats and i would rather not give them a reason
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very true. years ago my buds documented theres so no more ##s on the bow coast guard pulled them both over .i warned them about it from that day on they were always relutant to drink on the boat . no #s are just askin for trouble
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Where I am I have found the opposite to be true - documented boats are LESS likely to get pulled. In fact I live close to a coast guard training facility and I have never been stopped in my CIG. Local Marine Patrol and CG have on occasion pulled through our raft up and NEVER given me one minute of attention where as the registered boats get plenty. Gone blasting past the CG and MP LOTS of times and never gotten anything but a wave, even when they are obviously out doing boardings.

I honestly think they figure if I have the sophistication level to run a documented boat and fill it with a thousand dollars worth of fuel, that I have sprung the 9 bucks for flares, and am carrying the pre-requisite orange life vests.

Another Pro is depending on your state you MIGHT get away with not paying sales tax if they don't put it all together.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Derek, my boat is documented. Was previously documented as well.

Ok, in Michigan, you still need to register it to get the year sticker. Upon doing this, you will be generated MC numbers. I run only the year sticker on my boat, no MCs.

I was stopped by the sheriff on St Clair, asked why I had no MCs displayed and I said it was documented.....they had no clue what it meant. Called another sheriff to come. 6 guys and none knew the law. Finally I asked for the coast guard to be called....once I was good and pissed off. They took all my info and told me I should put MCs on the boat.

I never did and was never stopped again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.