Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is rigging really that difficult??? >

Is rigging really that difficult???

Notices

Is rigging really that difficult???

Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Is rigging really that difficult???

I wired my fist car front to back when I was 17, not exactly a professional job but neat, thought out and functional none the less. The last 2 boats I have had, the wiring looks like speghetti in a blender. Im trying to troubleshoot things right now and I am half tempted to rip everything out and start fresh. Seriously your a boat company, you have put in how many merc 9 pin harnesses and trim wiring in how many of the same boats?? So why does it look like you hired a junior high shop student to wire it?????
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start the project and you will answer your own question takes time to do it right, ive changed mine 3 diff times on my boat, not fun theres so many wires going to lights, pumps, etc. a lot more than the 9pin you mentioned.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To do anything 'right' takes not only time, but experience. Most enter the project with the time and vigor, it's the latter concept that's lacking.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If your boat was built on an assembly line that would explain a lot as to why it looks like that. Most compnies are just trying toget the boat built and out the door. The other thing you have to realize is that wiring is only a small part of rigging a boat.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost takes 2 people to do it. One handing tools and supplies to the guy who is in the engine bay or on his back under the dash. I have did it under the dash of my hydrostream HST...talk about tight.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Only thing wired worse than most boats is most RV's.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it just boils down to time.

So the boat builder needs to sell a boat for X dollars. To do that, rigging is given X amount of time.

Vs.

Cigarette's rigging is the way it is for the simple reason the boat builder can charge for better rigging in the selling price.
So the rigging is given more time.

A lesser dollar boat buyer isn't thinking about the bow light not working someday and the time to track down the wire mess.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 05-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to do central office telecom install so I had a little practice making things look decent. Re-wired the entire boat, only re-used the 9-pin harness, it took a long time and was expensive. All the different color wires to keep things straight. Or if you are really good you can do everything in black and white as long as you label everything. Rough everything in that you will need, then pretty up the helm and work out.

One other suggestion is to use the drill trick to twist the +12/GND together for say your blowers, bilge pumpts, etc and run all your grounds back to the helm to a bus bar. Makes it easier and keeps it tidier. And lots of ty-wraps and cushion clamps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501551[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Is rigging really that difficult???-img00043-20100909-0359.jpg   Is rigging really that difficult???-img00085-20101004-2309.jpg  

Last edited by c_deezy; 05-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501555[/ATTACH]the other issue is how many "other" hands have been under there to "fix" something or add another acc that wasn't stock from the factory?? you get a local stereo shop to install a head unit that doesn't know their way around boats and you get "interesting" results! That or if you happen to have a friend that wants to "help" and decides to start the project before you arrive and takes the entire dash apart without labeling anything to "save you time"
Attached Thumbnails Is rigging really that difficult???-lowerdashmess.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with c_deezy! Using a drill is awesome and I have OCD when it comes to matching, even, color coded and overall appearance. I can't leave anything halfa$$ed or I have to over engineer it. Take your time and learn the rigging process. It's definitely not a jump in and go process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.