water psi to high after installing imco shorty >

water psi to high after installing imco shorty

Notices

water psi to high after installing imco shorty

Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water psi to high after installing imco shorty

I know this topic has been beat to death...

I have a 25 eliminator cat and just put a imco -2 shorty on it. The last 2 times I've used it I've blown a water hose after a top end pull. I'm assuming I have way to much water psi. I even removed the thermostat and it still did it. Who makes a water psi relief valve that works and is relatively inexpensive? I'm assuming I can put a t fitting into the water line before the pump, use a psi relief valve and plumb it outside the boat..

Has anyone else ran into this?

Other issue I have is that it be extremely difficult to put a sea strainer in because of the lack of room... suggestions?
Old 06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

My father had the same problem with the Phantom in my avatar, blew hoses. Here is a link whcih discusses the solution, post #8 in this link is spot-on.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ilge-pump.html

Another on the same topic:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...placement.html

Here is the link for the valve you need

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-121-p...ef-valves.aspx

My father did the install, once the vale opens at 25 psi the water dumps, he routed the water out of the driver side of the boat to do a quick look to make make sure excess pressure is being dumped. The two links do a wat better job of describing the how-to then I can. Northing sucks more than blowing that recirculation hose in salt water, been there and done in the Ocean one summer day two years ago.

Last edited by Smarty; 06-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smarty
My father had the same problem with the Phantom in my avatar, blew hoses. Here is a link whcih discusses the solution, post #8 in this link is spot-on.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ilge-pump.html

Another on the same topic:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...placement.html

Here is the link for the valve you need

http://www.cpperformance.com/c-121-p...ef-valves.aspx

My father did the install, once the vale opens at 25 psi the water dumps, he routed the water out of the driver side of the boat to do a quick look to make make sure excess pressure is being dumped. The two links do a wat better job of describing the how-to then I can. Northing sucks more than blowing that recirculation hose in salt water, been there and done in the Ocean one summer day two years ago.

Question: did your father Purchase the 500.00 valve or did he use that t fitting and psi relief valve.. I think on the link u sent me I could buy the cheaper t fitting and psi valve for 100 bucks or so
Old 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My relief is on the strainer, plus we also had to weld up the intake port a bit to restrict it.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure Mercury makes one also...
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by boldspeed
Question: did your father Purchase the 500.00 valve or did he use that t fitting and psi relief valve.. I think on the link u sent me I could buy the cheaper t fitting and psi valve for 100 bucks or so
He bought the relief valve (T fitting) for less that $100. Now one thing that did happen the starboard valve did go bad and had to be replaced. F$479.00 you can buy the sea-strainer with the pressure relief valve built-in.

Look to others on the board who actually were hands on there for the install, and the success or drawback-failure they experienced in the installation and purchasing of the valve.

Monsta (OSO name on the board) on the board, a few years back replumbed Fountains that were experiencing high water pressure, he is a New York guy and is very knowledgeable on this topic, or call BWD (Brian) from the previous post, he is sharp.

Here is that strainer if you decide on a major replumbling.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-13734...-strainer.aspx
Attached Thumbnails water psi to high after installing imco shorty-strainer.jpg  

Last edited by Smarty; 06-30-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The low cost option is to dump water thru the transom from the intake manifold. You can restrict the fitting at the intake manifold to vary the WP.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had high water pressure issues with -2 Imco lower. I installed a valve from McMaster Carr T-eed into 1 1/4" hose coming from raw water pump to cross over.
water is dumped overboard via thu hull fitting pressure stays right aound 25 psi.

Extended-Life Adjustable Relief Valves

Combine the durability of thick walls and rugged construction with the convenience of adjustable pressure. Adjust set pressure within the range

Precision-Adjustable Valves

Use with water, diesel fuel, fuel oil, gasoline, hydraulic oil, and kerosene
Temp. Range: -60° to +450° F

Fine screw threads provide greater precision in pressure adjustments. Body and seal are bronze . Pipe connections are NPT; inlet is male (bottom port) and outlet is female (side port).

Pipe
Size
1"

part # 4703K56

$141.11

Extended-Life Adjustable Relief Valve Bronze Body, Precision Adj, 1 NPT

Pressure Range,15-25 psi

Last edited by rws; 07-01-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I welded up and reshaped the water inlet on my shorty. That eliminated most of the cav burn also.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Registered

Could you go with a through hull water pickup instead and not worry about what the shorty is doing. That way you could shape the intake to not have excessive pressure