Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice. >

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Notices

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
What I want to know is if the country is broke, why is the coast guard throwing parties, somebodies boat gets smashed and the local cops are the ones to respond???
hahahaha yeah right, live for today, spend every cent in your budget, so you get the same or more next year, that's how our bloated government works dude... just like obama taking a 100 million dollar vacation during the sequester
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the boat to be fixed, turn it in to my insurance and eat the deductible. Then your insurance will fight it out with his while you are boating. You can even ask him to cover your deductible, or when boating season is over, take him to small claims court for it. Just my 2 cents...
Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore312
You should find an attorney that is familiar with and practices Maritime Law. The standards of responsibility for the operator of a vessel are different on water vs on land. Most cops are not very familiar with Maritime law either. Coasties should know proper procedure...
Its not exactly complex. One boat was anchored and one was under power. The boat under power is at fault.

The problem is getting paid for what he believes the boat is worth. A marine survey needs to be done to determine its pre-accident value.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Registered

What the guy smarter than me said...

Originally Posted by Griff
Its not exactly complex. One boat was anchored and one was under power. The boat under power is at fault.

The problem is getting paid for what he believes the boat is worth. A marine survey needs to be done to determine its pre-accident value.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Call your insurance company and let them fight with his insurance company.
What he said. You've already stated that you have full coverage on your insurance policy. It's YOUR insurance company's job to make you whole (completely fix or total your boat and give you full value including sales tax) and then go after HIS insurance company to get reimbursed because he was at fault. It is also a good idea (as others have stated) to get witness statements while the incident is still fresh in their mind including contact info.) and give those statements to your insurance company. If HIS insurance company refuses to reimburse your's, THEY will lawyer-up and sue them to re-coup the damages that they paid you... it's not your problem unless you don't have FULL coverage.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

Food for thought Michigan has no fault auto insurance. I'm not sure how boat insurance works in that state.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If the guy has a 53 foot Carver the 25 K or so for your boat is small change. Even if the guy bought the Carver used he paid two or three hundred thousand. So maybe a man to man sit down explaining your frustrations would go a long way to resolving the situation.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Call Chris Sunkin. He will undoubtedly have the proper advice from his extensive boating experience.

Sorry about your boat. I hope you are compensated properly.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered

Really stinks. But what are you doing with boat?? I would be interested in buying interior??
Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by phragle
What I want to know is if the country is broke, why is the coast guard throwing parties, somebodies boat gets smashed and the local cops are the ones to respond???
The Coast Guard is not "throwing parties" The City of Grand Haven MI aka (Coast Guard City USA) (self proclaimed by the City of Grand Haven) Puts on the whole festival. I'm in Portsmouth VA and they say they are Coast Guard City USA. The Grand Haven Festival is so big that the Coast Guard and local Police and DNR are over run with a$$hole boaters the whole time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.