Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice. >

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Notices

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

I read many of the posts in this thread and once again the brothern on OSO have provided you excellent advice, I found posts#: 32, 35, 18 to be the best advice legally for your situation, the advice in those posts are very good. Good luck with your claim, and as stated what your insurance company does not cover, nor the defendant (person in the Carver) wants to pay you, then you can-should file in Smalls Claims Court. I see in your avatar you are a Michigan resident, here is the link for the Michigan Small Claims Court, (can award up to $5K), if your out of pocket is more than $5K, and you seek more than $5K then you will need to lawyer-up for the more technical filing.

http://courts.mi.gov/Self-help/cente...allClaims.aspx

I cannot provide legal advice for a Michigan issue, I am only licensed in New Jersey. The OSO members have given you sound advice, good luck, get your boat fixed.

Stephen "Smarty" Jones
Attorney-At-Law
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live on Smiths Bayou- always a crazy time at the bridge on the weekend Lots of good people out having fun and always a handfull of idiots doing stupid things
Old 10-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
Two weeks ago at coast guard festival I was anchored in smiths cove tied to other boats. And a 53 carver ran right into the side of my boat. Me smashed in one side that he hit me on. Then the other side where I was pushed into the back of other boats swim platforms he broke the bottom of my boat open. It's cracked open a 1/4 inch about 10 feet long. There two different cracks.

I've called the cops they let him go with a warning no ticket isued. Cuz he said it was currants That pushed him into my boat. With it was not. He was under power and had his screws turning. And he just didn't pay attention to what the hell he was doing. He's luck he didn't hurt any body. I want to know what grounds I stand on. Cuz he's totally at fault.

I have a 24 foot predator marine viper that I totally redid this year and only have 15 hrs on it with brand new intierior done by Apearince products. And a brand new 496 stocker motor in it and the boat is totaled in my yes cuz it's an old boat. And it's probibly not worth fixing.

I have about 25 k into it now and I would like to know how am I going to get my money back out of it. Since this guy smashed into my boat.
Saw another post that looks like you got a new boat out of the ordeal. I'm curious as to how that went down. Congrats if so.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
The Coast Guard is not "throwing parties" The City of Grand Haven MI aka (Coast Guard City USA) (self proclaimed by the City of Grand Haven) Puts on the whole festival. I'm in Portsmouth VA and they say they are Coast Guard City USA. The Grand Haven Festival is so big that the Coast Guard and local Police and DNR are over run with a$$hole boaters the whole time.
A$$hole boaters? Maybe some idiots but the a$$holes are in uniforms.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lawyer up!!!