Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Great little ride this weekend, then POP, sniff-sniff, long idle back... >

Great little ride this weekend, then POP, sniff-sniff, long idle back...

Notices

Great little ride this weekend, then POP, sniff-sniff, long idle back...

Old 08-05-2002, 11:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Great little ride this weekend, then POP, sniff-sniff, long idle back...

I got a chance to keep the Sonic on the trailer on Saturday, and go out on a 1993 Cig TG with twin staggerred 1100 Cobras, Cobra trannys, and #VIs. We idled out from his house toward the Bay, and slowly brought it up on plane. 3500 revs, we were at 55mph. Last time I looked we were at 4300 revs, and 74mph. Soon after, pop, sniff-sniff, smelled something burnt, and no forward power on the port side. He had just replaced the port #VI after it locked up a few weeks ago. We were going out for a short trip to warm it up, and then go tweek the idle and a few other things. Seem to think the locked up #VI a few weeks ago, tore up the tranny in a fashion that was undiagnosable. Guess it was a good thing we left the trailer in the water, and just headed back to the shop. This was a brand new drive, and we also noticed a chunk out of the rear of the skeg, but no damage to cleaver at all. Very wierd; back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-05-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry GREMLINS !!!!

Hi Brian,
That boat is a rocket. Jay pulled the trans out this morning and I tore it apart around lunch time. Found that Cobra did not have the forward clutch pack tight enough. So all that power smoked the forward clutches. HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS !!!!! Atleast it was the port trans so it wasnt all that hard to get out. If all goes well with Cobra we should be boating next weekend. Keep our fingers crossed!
Tell Eric we said hello ! See you guys at the Annapolis boat show.

Pwrbt33
Old 08-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Thanks for taking care of me on parts and info. Let me know if that speedo pickup turns up anywhere. I still loved the ride on the 'shop' boat. I can't wait to go out again and see triple digits.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Shop boat !

Yah, we cant wait to get it back together either. We were around 106 the last time when the drive blew. We are hoping to see something like 114 or so. That would put a smile on Bill's face!

Not a problem at all on those parts, wish I could say the same for Eric's exhaust rubber. I ordered it on Monday after he and I talked and havent seen it yet! I'll keep the feelers out on the speedo pickup, havent had much time to look yet though. Jay went on vacation and Linda needs sometime off. Oh well, we;ll gett'r done.

SEE YA !!!

Pwrbt33