Notices

Indoor Boat Dust Cover

Old 11-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor Boat Dust Cover

I am looking for someone to make a Dust Cover for my boat when storing im my garage. Just need something that will cover entire boat and let everything breath while keeping dust out. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well they are hard to find and you'll be lucky to get one but.....

I absconded an old cargo parachute. They only use them about 10-20 times or so then discard them. I fly with Civil Air Search and Rescue, so that was my contact. You might want to ask one of your military friends for one?
They are quite heavy, however what I did was cover my boat with it and then take a pair of VERY sharp sheers and cut the bottom edge off around the perimeter of the boat. This made it a bit lighter as I turned a round object into a rectangular object, thus removing alot of dead weight.
I have a 41 foot offshore boat and it covered it quite nicely! I am in a heated indoor storage facility that is kept above freezing all year long so I have no worries about engine blocks freezing or anything like that, but it's nice to keep the dust off as in the spring it cuts down on cleanup alot.
In the spring I wrap it up and take it to the industrial laundry and run it through a wash cycle and fold it neatly for next year. (My buddy works at the hospital in town with a huge laundry machine!)
Old 11-27-2008, 07:27 AM
DM
Registered
VIP Member

There was a guy at our marina that kept his boat in a bldg. during the week and he had one made out of the Tyvek "house wrap" and it seemed to serve him well as a dust cover. It was also easy to handle and roll up by himself and that was on a 42' Fountain. Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:33 AM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When new boats are shipped to the dealers, they often have "shipping covers" on them. Many dealers save these covers. Go to a dealer for your brand of boat, and ask if they have one and if not call the manufacture and ask if they will sell you one. We would sell them to customers for around $100
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CMC
When new boats are shipped to the dealers, they often have "shipping covers" on them. Many dealers save these covers. Go to a dealer for your brand of boat, and ask if they have one and if not call the manufacture and ask if they will sell you one. We would sell them to customers for around $100
Excellent idea. I was able to keep the shipping cover that came on my Donzi. I use it just for that purpose. Seems like a tyvek type of material.
Bob
Old 11-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

With my old boat (a 22' Talon) I simply used bed sheets. My mother-in-law sewed together some old bed sheets. It hung over the side and covered the trailer too. Light weight, soft, breathable and worked great keeping the dust off. Had it cleaned once a year. Low buck, but it works! Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
With my old boat (a 22' Talon) I simply used bed sheets. My mother-in-law sewed together some old bed sheets. It hung over the side and covered the trailer too. Light weight, soft, breathable and worked great keeping the dust off. Had it cleaned once a year. Low buck, but it works! Just a thought.
That's a great idea for a low cost dust cover.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

http://www.carriecovers.com/home1.php
Old 11-27-2008, 04:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Stinger390X
Well they are hard to find and you'll be lucky to get one but.....

I absconded an old cargo parachute. They only use them about 10-20 times or so then discard them. I fly with Civil Air Search and Rescue, so that was my contact. You might want to ask one of your military friends for one?
They are quite heavy, however what I did was cover my boat with it and then take a pair of VERY sharp sheers and cut the bottom edge off around the perimeter of the boat. This made it a bit lighter as I turned a round object into a rectangular object, thus removing alot of dead weight.
I have a 41 foot offshore boat and it covered it quite nicely! I am in a heated indoor storage facility that is kept above freezing all year long so I have no worries about engine blocks freezing or anything like that, but it's nice to keep the dust off as in the spring it cuts down on cleanup alot.
In the spring I wrap it up and take it to the industrial laundry and run it through a wash cycle and fold it neatly for next year. (My buddy works at the hospital in town with a huge laundry machine!)
Cargo chutes are perfect. I used one for years on a trailered boat sitting in the yard- keeps off sun, bugs and a lot of dirt. Lightweight and breathes, so mildew wasnt an issue.

Maybe a skydiving club would have used ones?

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 02-25-2023, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stormbauer
I am looking for someone to make a Dust Cover for my boat when storing im my garage. Just need something that will cover entire boat and let everything breath while keeping dust out. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Did you ever find the Dust Cover, I am looking for the same thing?

Quick Reply: Indoor Boat Dust Cover

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.