Like Tree0Likes

Indoor Boat Dust Cover

Reply
Old 11-26-2008, 07:21 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
My Boats: 1999, Eliminator, 33 Daytona
Posts: 282
Default Indoor Boat Dust Cover

I am looking for someone to make a Dust Cover for my boat when storing im my garage. Just need something that will cover entire boat and let everything breath while keeping dust out. Any suggestions would be helpful.
stormbauer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Niagara
My Boats: 85 Stinger390X, 87 stinger 260
Posts: 317
Default

Well they are hard to find and you'll be lucky to get one but.....

I absconded an old cargo parachute. They only use them about 10-20 times or so then discard them. I fly with Civil Air Search and Rescue, so that was my contact. You might want to ask one of your military friends for one?
They are quite heavy, however what I did was cover my boat with it and then take a pair of VERY sharp sheers and cut the bottom edge off around the perimeter of the boat. This made it a bit lighter as I turned a round object into a rectangular object, thus removing alot of dead weight.
I have a 41 foot offshore boat and it covered it quite nicely! I am in a heated indoor storage facility that is kept above freezing all year long so I have no worries about engine blocks freezing or anything like that, but it's nice to keep the dust off as in the spring it cuts down on cleanup alot.
In the spring I wrap it up and take it to the industrial laundry and run it through a wash cycle and fold it neatly for next year. (My buddy works at the hospital in town with a huge laundry machine!)
Stinger390X is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:27 AM
  #3
DM
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 73
Default

There was a guy at our marina that kept his boat in a bldg. during the week and he had one made out of the Tyvek "house wrap" and it seemed to serve him well as a dust cover. It was also easy to handle and roll up by himself and that was on a 42' Fountain. Just a thought.
DM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM
  #4
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 740
Default

When new boats are shipped to the dealers, they often have "shipping covers" on them. Many dealers save these covers. Go to a dealer for your brand of boat, and ask if they have one and if not call the manufacture and ask if they will sell you one. We would sell them to customers for around $100
CMC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
  #5
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Bobthebuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marco Island, FL; Waterloo, ON, CAN
My Boats: 2009 Nor Tech 5000 Diesel; 2015 Statement 380 CC; 2014 32' Renegade
Posts: 5,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC View Post
When new boats are shipped to the dealers, they often have "shipping covers" on them. Many dealers save these covers. Go to a dealer for your brand of boat, and ask if they have one and if not call the manufacture and ask if they will sell you one. We would sell them to customers for around $100
Excellent idea. I was able to keep the shipping cover that came on my Donzi. I use it just for that purpose. Seems like a tyvek type of material.
Bob
Bobthebuilder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
  #6
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
4mulafastech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington, MO
My Boats: 2006 Formula 292 FasTech / 2007 Ranger Reata 190VS
Posts: 1,416
Default

With my old boat (a 22' Talon) I simply used bed sheets. My mother-in-law sewed together some old bed sheets. It hung over the side and covered the trailer too. Light weight, soft, breathable and worked great keeping the dust off. Had it cleaned once a year. Low buck, but it works! Just a thought.
4mulafastech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
  #7
Registered
 
kjm5125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sandusky/Olmsted Falls, OH
My Boats: Formula-2004, 382 Fastech w/Arneson Surface Drives
Posts: 663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mulafastech View Post
With my old boat (a 22' Talon) I simply used bed sheets. My mother-in-law sewed together some old bed sheets. It hung over the side and covered the trailer too. Light weight, soft, breathable and worked great keeping the dust off. Had it cleaned once a year. Low buck, but it works! Just a thought.
That's a great idea for a low cost dust cover.
kjm5125 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:49 PM
  #8
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
My Boats: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.
Posts: 21,920
Default

http://www.carriecovers.com/home1.php
Sydwayz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
  #9
naplesimage.com
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
jayboat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SWFloridaH2O
My Boats: Every One In Sight
Posts: 18,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger390X View Post
Well they are hard to find and you'll be lucky to get one but.....

I absconded an old cargo parachute. They only use them about 10-20 times or so then discard them. I fly with Civil Air Search and Rescue, so that was my contact. You might want to ask one of your military friends for one?
They are quite heavy, however what I did was cover my boat with it and then take a pair of VERY sharp sheers and cut the bottom edge off around the perimeter of the boat. This made it a bit lighter as I turned a round object into a rectangular object, thus removing alot of dead weight.
I have a 41 foot offshore boat and it covered it quite nicely! I am in a heated indoor storage facility that is kept above freezing all year long so I have no worries about engine blocks freezing or anything like that, but it's nice to keep the dust off as in the spring it cuts down on cleanup alot.
In the spring I wrap it up and take it to the industrial laundry and run it through a wash cycle and fold it neatly for next year. (My buddy works at the hospital in town with a huge laundry machine!)
Cargo chutes are perfect. I used one for years on a trailered boat sitting in the yard- keeps off sun, bugs and a lot of dirt. Lightweight and breathes, so mildew wasnt an issue.

Maybe a skydiving club would have used ones?
__________________
Roostertail does not lie.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
jayboat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
007joe
Northeast US
3
11-14-2008 03:58 PM
waterman
Northern Illinois Offshore Club
3
12-14-2007 09:33 AM
01vette
General Boating Discussion
13
11-06-2007 01:18 PM
East Coast B
General Boating Discussion
3
09-10-2007 07:54 AM
tlingen
General Boating Discussion
2
11-30-2004 09:54 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.