Tres Martin’s Safety Corner: When Any Is Too Much

Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Don't forget how many meds can also affect you reactions just as bad
Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the good fortune of having a guaranteed designated driver (pregnant wife) so I have been taking advantage of it and letting her drive back, but when we get to the marina I still have to take over and do the docking, which I am able to do without any issues. She is still learning to drive and not comfortable docking yet. I agree with the type of boat and where you are matters. In the Bahamas drinking and driving isn't an issue since you are pretty much out there solo, also my boat is not very fast. With fast boats especially cats, and motorcycles no drinking.

Last edited by pstorti; 12-14-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Don't forget how many meds can also affect you reactions just as bad
I am glad you mentioned this!

Never been a pill guy, even after surgery or dental work I have never taken pain pills. Had a 25 year old drugged up on pain killers in a NEW Infinity hit one of my service trucks HEAD ON on a ONE WAY street gong the wrong way at 5:30 PM about 2 months ago. Sound guilty? No! My driver called me in a panic and upset but not hurt bad and I showed up on scene in 10 minutes. The guilty guy couldnt even stand straight up against a phone pole!

I said to the police - "the dude is all fuked up!" The police said, "Yes, but it isnt illegal to take pain pills..."

I talked to 3 attorneys and none would take the case. My driver was taken care of by Progressive. Progressive totaled the truck and I got a whopping $3200. The system failed me! I couldnt sue for the truck since I was paid "value" and I couldnt sue the individual since it wasnt a banned substance nor-alcohol.

I lost a truck that was worth $2000 more than KBB
Lost 35-40 man hours
My time to go buy another truck realistically 2 days (search, view, buy)
State registration and fees (over $1000)

All in all I lost about $5000 - this is why I have a big problem with pills. Life lesson learned. Unless you are seriously hurt, nobody wants the case so they can rape the insurance company.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cat & Mice
Maybe RiverDave has been drinking a few too many tonight LOL

I don't see how this article is Un-American?

Its a great message and something we all need to be reminded of.

There is a reason you can not operate an aircraft with any Alcohol in your system. Pretty sure the FAA has this stuff figured out. A high performance boat is very similar to the operation of a aircraft. You need to be at your best to deal with the things that can be thrown at you.

MP
Well I'll be happy to explain that out on monday.

RD
Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
Do you guys take the same stance against a guy driving a poontune with a 25hp outboard?

For the record I agree with the article..... Just wanted to toss one more question into the debate
Let me see, last time I almost ran over one, he was poaching and crossing the river with no lights at night, drunk and belligerent . That ended my nighttime running, (full moon clear sky excepted)

Had I run over him I most likely would have killed him and both of his passengers. Not something I would care to deal with.

It always takes two to have an accident. IMO
Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Alcohol onboard a go fast is always going to be trouble in case of pull over, safety check or god forbid an actual accident. The stereotype is bad enough (loud cigar boat) and just having booze aboard will give the headline "Drunken Cigar Boat Owner........"

Boats are fast, get to your destination and then crack them open!

That being said, my boat was always faster after a pitcher of beer!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
Do you guys take the same stance against a guy driving a poontune with a 25hp outboard?

For the record I agree with the article..... Just wanted to toss one more question into the debate
Yes ... though the potential for harm to others in something that runs 150 mph is greater ... yes.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to drink and boat. I do not drink anymore but I still boat. A lot. I now have 3 nice boats when before as a drunk I had only one shtty boat. I remember 23 years ago coming home from fishing all day offshore to Galveston after 24 beers and no water on a hot summer day and my father and me in the boat. It had been 4' swells with a long period maybe 12-15 secs and as we entered the jetties the waves got closer and closer together and then there was a wall of water in front and a wall of water in back and I could not think fast enough to make an evasive move and we capsized. Fortunately my father found 3 life vests to hold and I was just swimming until another boat came a long and flipped us over and towed us in. My father would not speak to me for about 2 weeks. I never forgot that incident. A DWI came along later that year and it cost me $10,000. So, I quit everything incl. beer. Since then I have been far happier and made much more money! Best decision I ever made! Well, the 42 Fountain was a good decision too but that's another story...
Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I am glad you mentioned this!

Never been a pill guy, even after surgery or dental work I have never taken pain pills. Had a 25 year old drugged up on pain killers in a NEW Infinity hit one of my service trucks HEAD ON on a ONE WAY street gong the wrong way at 5:30 PM about 2 months ago. Sound guilty? No! My driver called me in a panic and upset but not hurt bad and I showed up on scene in 10 minutes. The guilty guy couldnt even stand straight up against a phone pole!

I said to the police - "the dude is all fuked up!" The police said, "Yes, but it isnt illegal to take pain pills..."

I talked to 3 attorneys and none would take the case. My driver was taken care of by Progressive. Progressive totaled the truck and I got a whopping $3200. The system failed me! I couldnt sue for the truck since I was paid "value" and I couldnt sue the individual since it wasnt a banned substance nor-alcohol.

I lost a truck that was worth $2000 more than KBB
Lost 35-40 man hours
My time to go buy another truck realistically 2 days (search, view, buy)
State registration and fees (over $1000)

All in all I lost about $5000 - this is why I have a big problem with pills. Life lesson learned. Unless you are seriously hurt, nobody wants the case so they can rape the insurance company.
That amazes me! I Thought that is why they called it OUI! Should not matter if it is booze, drugs, or pills… I know up in MA the guy would be screwed. Not that the outcome for you would have been any different but the guy on pills would be going to court.