Tres Martin’s Safety Corner: When Any Is Too Much

Notices

Tres Martin’s Safety Corner: When Any Is Too Much

Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,257 Posts
Default Tres Martin’s Safety Corner: When Any Is Too Much

Tis the season for a strong reminder, http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...ny-is-too-much.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Matt,

As much as some folks will probably argue that one or two drinks don't affect their ability to drive a fast boat, I agree whole heartedly that they do. I stopped drinking and driving my boats many years ago after getting into a race with another guy (also drinking) and standing my 20' Checkmate right on its transom. Fortunately, it came down straight - even though I broke the throttle right off in my hand. (I was wearing a kill switch believe it or not.) And think about this; I was only going 70 MPH at the time. Imagine wheat might happen at 150 MPH since so many boats seem to be capable of that (and more) these days. Trust me, it's just not worth it.

Tom
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Matt,

As much as some folks will probably argue that one or two drinks don't affect their ability to drive a fast boat, I agree whole heartedly that they do. I stopped drinking and driving my boats many years ago after getting into a race with another guy (also drinking) and standing my 20' Checkmate right on its transom. Fortunately, it came down straight - even though I broke the throttle right off in my hand. (I was wearing a kill switch believe it or not.) And think about this; I was only going 70 MPH at the time. Imagine wheat might happen at 150 MPH since so many boats seem to be capable of that (and more) these days. Trust me, it's just not worth it.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. I know this column will bother people, and that people have to make their own choices.

For the record: I have driven a boat after drinking.

Also for the record: It's been a very, very long time and it's not something I would ever do again.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

1 drink is too many when operating a BOAT!!

Especially a high performance boat
Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always easy to argue in favor of captain safety.. What is most often overlooked is sometimes arguing for captain safety is more irresponsible then the thing you are arguing for. In short, I love Speed on the Water and Matt and Jason's efforts.. This article being published under their heading is irresponsible journalism. Point in fact it's downright unamerican.

RD

Last edited by RiverDave; 12-13-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe RiverDave has been drinking a few too many tonight LOL

I don't see how this article is Un-American?

Its a great message and something we all need to be reminded of.

There is a reason you can not operate an aircraft with any Alcohol in your system. Pretty sure the FAA has this stuff figured out. A high performance boat is very similar to the operation of a aircraft. You need to be at your best to deal with the things that can be thrown at you.

MP
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys take the same stance against a guy driving a poontune with a 25hp outboard?

For the record I agree with the article..... Just wanted to toss one more question into the debate
Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio

For the record: I have driven a boat after drinking.

Also for the record: It's been a very, very long time and it's not something I would ever do again.

That makes two of us. It's just not worth it, I figure if I can't wait until safely on land and NOT behind the wheel of a car then I have some bigger problems.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a poontune ?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water on the water and beer on the pier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.