Notices

would you pay?????

Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Why would the OP buy parts if the engines turn out to not be in good enough shape worth rebuilding?

My guess is the OP proh has expierence building automotive engines not marine. He also might be busy running his body shop. He specializes in what he's best at....makes money...pays someone else to do what they specialize in.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by NautiNuff
If you ran a business were you had to choose between making 10K and the customer was happy and paid you or making 2K and had to go line by line on the bill with a PITA customer, which job would be done and which would still be in a box collecting cob webs
This is easy as a business owner. You tell the $2k customer that you have a large job pending and won't be able to get to the smaller job until XX date. If the customer is ok with it, then fine, if not you've communicated and you still have a potential customer.

Why is this such a frigging hard concept to understand...I don't get it, so much of this "bad" business can be avoided, not eliminated but greatly reduced.

Last edited by Indy; 12-15-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think op may have stepped on some toes when he started telling the builder he wanted to shop for his other pieces .I think he should have just asked the builder take em apart and tell me how much with x heads ,cam etc .Instead he basically told builder he was going shopping. To the op, at this point get your stuff and if you are really an engine builder it is now apart .Inspect it and proceed on a different route JMO .
Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by motor
I think op may have stepped on some toes when he started telling the builder he wanted to shop for his other pieces .I think he should have just asked the builder take em apart and tell me how much with x heads ,cam etc .Instead he basically told builder he was going shopping. To the op, at this point get your stuff and if you are really an engine builder it is now apart .Inspect it and proceed on a different route JMO .
The reason I am siding with the OP is due to HIS HONESTY with OSO up front about the story. The OP poster tried to explain both sides and not leave these details out. But hey the engine builder CHOSE to take on the project.

Yeah we all can agree that it might be annoying as a engine builder to deal with a customer like that. Well if he did not want to then he should have never accepted the engines into his shop!

BUT, the engine builder STILL did not even complete the task at hand! Who cares if the customer was trying to be "frugal" with his build. A LOT of customers are, actually everyone on this site at one point or another was pretty "cheap" or "frugal" with some product they have bought somewhere.........causing some business owner to make a decision "should I accept a job that brings in some money or only the accept the gravy jobs"

Its funny but sometimes "That Customer" that seems to be pinching penny's turns out to be your most profitable, and best customer in the long run.

Its all good and there are a lot of good post on this thread even if I don't personally agree with them. I just really hate to hear about stuff like this.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can help you and no i would not pay but u piss him off you will get some junk parts back like other guys do pm me the shop's name

Last edited by kidapache; 12-15-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

I know there are two sides to any story and the truth is usually somewhere in between. The builder did take the job and should have torn them down asap. I just can't help but wonder ,if he had would they still be sitting in his shop waiting on OP to go shopping for his hard parts. This started with the question "is 400 to much to take apart two motors" .I think it depends on who you ask .The honeymoon is over. Whatever happened, it is in OP's best interest to move along .The builder can ask him and get,anything he wants at this point to return motors. Sad but true.

Last edited by motor; 12-15-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/46/31342
Old 12-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I think I know the shop in question, but that is not important at this time, I have seen things like this happen many times in my 60 years! Trust me Karma will eventually catch up with these people, Seen it many times, Boat builders, Engine experts, Drive scammers, trailer builders, on and on... They will get what's coming to them in time ( the circle will come full around) The relationship between you and the shop may be beyond repair. Just get your Stuff and let it be. Added benefit you might be ready for the spring if you go somewhere else! We have many engine guys here on OSO that are very reputable/stand up people that would love to have you as a customer..
Old 12-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like a $hitty story. I can say this though, the last man who yelled in my face and got a pass was my Father. Anyone else, and I don't care if he builds boat engines, car engines or space shuttles, better put his hands up if he's gonna shout in my face or try to shove me around. Ive found a lot of guys smarten right up when they catch one off the chin and get a 10 minute nap. Ive had plenty of guys try that shouting routine in my line of work, and I usually give them a warning reminding them that they ain't talking to their wife or kid and better take it down a notch or two. I don't go for that yelling $hit.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 398 Likes on 161 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ You sound like a coal miner . Nice guy , don't piss him off .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.