Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

We had bought our 29 outlaw with a single 502 in May of 2012 with about 550 hours on it, knowing that there was a good chance the engine would need freshened up soon. We took it to a mechanic I had been referred to at Lake of the Ozarks and had it looked at in October of 2012, thinking any work performed could be done during the winter so we could have a freshened up engine ready for the following summer. The engine appeared stock although the trailer has pro-charger decals on it, leading me to believe it had at some point had one installed, that and the through hull water dump and the lift hatch was moved to the side. The mechanic said he had thought he had worked on this boat previously at the lake (it was on Table Rock when we bought it) and he remembered it having a charger on it, which of course on a stock engine I felt was probably cause enough to check things out.

He had discovered a few weeks later that in fact there were issues, 3 cylinders having low compression with 1 very low so he followed up on that one with a leak down test and from there we decided to go ahead with a re-build as there was quite a bit of leak on that particular one. At the same time he had also mentioned he had a pro-charger that was used from another customer if I would be interested, which I told him if the price was good and the unit good I would be. He had contacted the owner and had negotiated the price to $1,150.00 and I agreed to purchase it and have it sent with the engine when he took it to the machine shop so it could be installed and ran on the dyno as we were also converting it to a carb setup as well.

I had finally received an estimate of approximately $8,500 for the machining work and having the engine assembled, short of the carb and ignition. The mechanic originally said the work should be done and we should be ready to go by May. I had very little communication with the mechanic as the phone was rarely answered or returned when I did call. I had finally found out the the engine was not taken to the machine shop until mid spring and was not happy but was still trusting the work could be done. Fast forward through an entire summer with no boat and the engine still not done, October 26th (Over a year later now) and I was sent an invoice and was told the engine was done. Aside from all the lost time the invoice was quite a blow as apparently the cost of the work had went from the $8,500 to more than $16,000 with no one from the machine shop or my mechanic once ever letting me know that there would be such a significant increase in the cost. The only cost increase I had discussed with the shop was using H-beam rods rather than reconditioning the original ones, quoted to be approximately $500 for new vs. $250 to recondition the used, and the necessity with the blower.

Here is what I had been told from the mechanic when I asked why it cost so much more, which seems to make no sense to me:
"The original estimate/invoice, for which you put a deposit was for a motor similar to an HP500 engine which would support a procharger should you decide to have one installed. As of March, that was what the authorization was for. In May, when you purchased the procharger, you specifically told us that you wanted the procharger installed. Obviously, this deviates from the original estimate and/or invoice because of the additional time and resources that this required."

If I was given a quote for a pro-charger ready engine and bought the charger separately, I do not see how the cost could have almost doubled if the engine was supposed to be built ready for one but that is what I was told the reason is. I had also done shopping on the parts listed on the invoice and found that I was being charged almost $2,800 more than what I could buy the parts for from various vendors. They had reviewed what I had sent them and this was the response I received:
Option 1. He will take $250 off the price of the invoice.
Option 2. If you order all of the parts have them shipped to you, have them shipped to us (once everything is in), then pay to have them shipped to the machine shop, pay to have them restocked, he will credit the difference of the cost of the parts back to you. (EBAY parts are not accepted)
Option 3. If neither of the above are acceptable to you, we would be willing to sit and renegotiate the invoice. This will include additional charges for time involved, delivering and picking up the motor, dyno costs, and full charge for the parts that he did not charge you for, etc.

I am just looking for any advice from anyone else or maybe anyone who has been through this before. Not sure if we will just have to pay up and learn a lesson the hard way or if anyone thinks there are any other options I should possibly pursue. This has been dragging out for over 15 months now and I'm hoping to have my boat back this summer so we can finally use it once again.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Nathan
Old 01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. If this is in fact the entire story, that's ridiculous. In Ohio, the written estimate cannot be exceeded by 10% without re-authorization. Ask him for a copy of the signed work order for $16k.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:37 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where to start, my first suspicion would be that this mechanic knew the boat and was the one that removed the pro-charger.

This sounds like a very bad situation, hopefully the engine builders will chime in and give you some numbers you can negotiate from.

Good luck
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Registered

No signed work order sheet no pay... this is going to end bad for everyone......
Old 01-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Registered

As long as you have your written estimate your all set.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Registered

I do have my written estimate and none of the invoices I have ever received have had any information on the bottom about mechanics liens or any sort of terms or place for a signature. The mechanic typically does service work and I think he may have agreed to take on more than he was prepared to. He won't even go get the engine from the machine shop until I pay in full, I told him I wasn't going to pay any more on it until it was done and he still says he won't go gt it until this invoice is paid. Pretty sure he just doesn't have the funds to cover his ass and get the engine and complete the job. He has worked at various marinas around the lake and I think i competent in that part but I think he and his wife don't know how to run the business side of things and have messed up pretty bad for themselves here. They said they have discussed this with the engine builder every time I've brought up different issues with it but I'm lead to believe that may not be the case and he's just looking to cover his ass at this point and hopes I'll just pay it. A few hundred dollars and I'd call it a bad lesson learned the hard way but not this much. Looks like I'll be getting in touch with a lawyer Monday morning as much as I hate taking things that way.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God I hate to read shXX like this...good luck
Old 01-04-2014, 04:30 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Un frikken believable. If this is how it truly all went down ,I would be lawyering up .A lot of bills will "creep" some but this is insane .Did you give them the impression you are a dummy with too much money .Sounds to me like he's trying to make up for his lack of organization by banging you for the money he needs for himself .The $8,500 should have been more than enough to rebuild your motor..Is the machine shop bill of $16,000 a separate bill from the mechanics. Can you scan and post a copy of bill so I can try to understand this. I feel for you ,chief....Stories like this give boat shops a bad name.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tajinate
[B][/BI had been referred to at Lake of the Ozarks and had it looked at in October of 2012, thinking any work performed could be done during the winter so we could have a freshened up engine ready for the following summer.

I had finally received an estimate of approximately $8,500 for the machining work and having the engine assembled, short of the carb and ignition. The mechanic originally said the work should be done and we should be ready to go by May. I had very little communication with the mechanic as the phone was rarely answered or returned when I did call.

Good luck with this.

How far is this shop from where you live? I would of been paying this guy a visit after a few dodged phone calls.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

WOW!!!

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.