Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do? >

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Notices

Bad mechanic, getting run around on price, what to do?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
Wait.. So the original quote was for a NA engine, ready for a pro charger. Then you had them add the pro charger?
Right, directly from what they told me an HP500 type setup which would be built ready to support a pro charger should I choose to go that route. I bought a complete pro charger kit M-1 for a carb setup and had it sent with the engine so it could be installed on the pro charger ready engine, and that is what they are making the price so high.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
I'd call the machine shop. Anyone I do work for knows what machine shop I use for the machining processes. There's no way I'd pay that much for anyone to rebuild a long block. I'm doing a dart block now that melted pistons, with new custom order pistons from je, all the machine work, heads went back to dart for repair etc it will be about half of what this guy says you owe him. For $16000 you better have an all new 540 long block sitting on the side of the motor that came out of your boat.
That was my thoughts as well, this was a price for necessary machining work on the engine but using the stock block, heads, and crank still and building from that. The only other costs would have been that I had them change the belts to v-belts but I did purchase the billet pulleys ahead of this and sent them along with everything else. The mechanic told me that the costs involved with that part would be credited from him if I gave him the serpentine pulleys when it was done, doubt that will happen either. I also bought the fuel pump, regulator, and a stainless crossover ahead of time as well. I had asked for a parts list so I could try to obtain some parts myself but was never given that either.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey .. this is how this industry works . they already charge insane prices for everything from nuts n bolts . hey if its a boat chrge three times what it should cost . that's the industry standard .. its a boat engine . it takes 4 times as much to build it . i really dont know how any one will continue to keep paying these outrageous bills ... go to school and earn to build them yourself . or work to buy engines allot .. don't forget when it breaks after 3 hrs it will be something you did .not covered by warren tee ... been there done that .. still i pay as others do to . god i love go fast boats .. just for the record it cost me 30 k just to have my motors pulled . resat with my complete dressed pfaffs , some new plumbing , trans rebuilt . talk about shock n awe ... and had custom tails from cmi almost forgot them ..my motors did also need small fabrication on motor mounts since they were tall decks . im happy just be prepaired for that final bill .. it should be about 5 pages long lol...best of luck . id keep my 16500 and buy another motor . hopefully small downpayment to surrender ... youre getting stroked .. bummer

Last edited by ROB FREEMAN; 01-04-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Mechanics generally don't install customer's parts. That is because of potential headaches if the parts are wrong and also because mechanics get parts cheaper and mark up the parts. That is one way they make money and it is legitimate. I think you two need to sit down and talk out a compromise.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ps . always get a deliverd date written in stone. or be prepaired to wait tilll the squeekee wheels arent skueeking as loud as yours .
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
id keep my 16500 and buy another motor . hopefully small downpayment to surrender ... youre getting stroked .. bummer
Should be able to drop in a 525 for that monry.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole2534
Should be able to drop in a 525 for that monry.
1. Is the work actually done? Stop by the machine shop to see if it is finished!
2. 16,500 seems insane for an old motor, if you haven't paid anything but the $1150 for the pro-charger then consider that a 15000 shopping allowance for a new motor (like what Cole suggested above).
3. It is very possible the motor is not done but if you pay then the mechanic can get other stuff paid for that the machine shop is holding hostage along with your motor so he can get his acct squared up with the machine shop to start off the new year (with your money!).
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience.

Called Tony at Native
Shipped the motors
50% down payment
He updated me weekly and sometimes daily with pictures and texts
Final bill was L E S S than original quote because some of the parts were still good.
Paid him in full.
Motors shipped back and ran almost 100 hours this summer. Broken push rod is the only reason I sent them back to be freshened.

Just repeated the process this winter.
Final bill was again L E S S than he originally told me.
Finished in under 10 weeks (and I told him no hurry)

$23,000 for B O T H motors (1100 Sterlings) both times.

Sorry for you bad experience ( I have had plenty) but I have not heard one bad review about Native. I shouldn't be advertising for him because I want to make sure he always has time to do my stuff. LOL.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you bring in an attorney and lose another season, and have potential sabotage done to your boat, Don't call, but go to the machine shop with cash in hand and see if they will release the engine to you if paid. They want their money. Then go hook up to your boat and be done. If you call the machine shop you give them the chance to call the mechanic and he shows up before you. Catch them off guard and make it happen. If all else fails, give me a call and I will send Bruce and Rocco!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this sounds just like a blast from the past on OSO. Did you try a search of your builders name here on OSO?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.