Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Miami Boat Show 2014 Request >

Miami Boat Show 2014 Request

Notices

Miami Boat Show 2014 Request

Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very sorry to hear the rapid decline. I know it all to well with my father.

If you do come down the offer still stands with us for the ride.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear all the news about your father... Like Chris said, we will be in Ft. Lauderdale from the 14th to the 16th with my boat, a 36 Baja Outlaw, and I would be more than happy to get you guys out on the water. If you make it, feel free to give me a call 412 523 3 5 6 2. My thoughts go out to your family..
Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CGRIZZLE
Just to update all of you. Mass General Hospital has stopped all treatments at this time and have given him two, maybe three months to live. The doctors said that the trial treatment will most likely not work because of the nature of the disease and extent that it has metastasized throughout his body (It’s literally in almost every muscle in his body at this point). He has one on his brain that they are extremely worried about if it starts growing. They said that if he continued the treatment, he will just get sicker and with the high percentage that it wouldn't work, they would rather have him just be comfortable for the remaining months instead of being miserable. Hospice will be called in pretty soon.

At this point, we are not sure if the trip mentioned above is going to happen. We don't think he will make a 24+hour drive nor would he want to and I'm afraid of bringing him on a commercial flight and risking being exposed to something that might make him sicker or less comfortable. We are meeting with the group in the next couple days to figure things out but I figured I would let the forum know and thank you for your prayers and support during this time.
Rent an RV take your time, you can still make it and he can be comfortable + it solves accomodation issues when you get there
Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dykstra
thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
x2
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Your in my prayers
Old 01-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I have boat show tickets on the way.I don't know if this a proper question to ask,but if you do decide to drive down have you considered stopping on the way for second opiions.There are 2 options on the way to Florida,Sloan-kettering in New York City and a new option in South Jersey near Philadelphi,the new alliance of COOPER hospital and the MD ANDERSON hospital from TEXAS.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I have boat show tickets on the way.I don't know if this a proper question to ask,but if you do decide to drive down have you considered stopping on the way for second opiions.There are 2 options on the way to Florida,Sloan-kettering in New York City and a new option in South Jersey near Philadelphi,the new alliance of COOPER hospital and the MD ANDERSON hospital from TEXAS.
We have ruled out driving at this point. We will be flying down most likely the 12th and flying back the 16th to reduce travel times for him.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

The tickets are good for premier day(2/13) and I think that this would be the best day to go due to the smaller crowds.I can be contacted on my cell at the show 845 893 9934. and I will find you.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Registered

Update:
Had to cancel the trip last minute. He was doing great up until a couple days ago when we saw a rapid decline within a very short amount of time. We decided as a family that although we might be able to get him down there, he most likely wouldn't enjoy it the way he would have wanted to. The doctors and hospice agreed and he is pretty much on 24/7 care right now as the disease is progressing even further. He's having a tough time eating, talking, and thinking so we suspect that the tumors on the brain are progressing rapidly and don't expect him to make it more than a week or two with his current state.

It is heartbreaking knowing that we couldn't make this trip because up until a couple days ago, everything was still ok. Our family and friends have decided that we will all travel (a large group) next year down there in memory of him. Throughout the year, I'm gonna look into trying to organize some sort of charity melanoma poker run either down in Miami around the boat show or either up on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH where we went all the time.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for their generosity and I was looking forward to meeting a couple of you guys down there. We did have something set up with Patrick over at Blue Octane Marine who was going to take us out in one of his boats and we did receive tickets from Sy Goldberg to attend the show which now I'm not sure what to do with. I never did tell my father about the ride or the free tickets because I wanted it to be a surprise once we got down there and I don't think anything good would come out of telling him now. It would only make things worse.

If I do get some sort of poker run or cruise set up though for next year though, I will make sure to post it here.

Thanks again.

Last edited by CGRIZZLE; 02-10-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.