Notices

Exhaust tip question

Old 04-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtnofear14
New to the site I just bought a 05 donzi 22zx over the summer it has the 350 mag mpi with corsa quick and quiet I wanna change the tips been looking at the eddie marine tips but I've heard that at idle they make a clanking noise due to the internal flappers is there a tip out there that doesn't clank and will this make the boat louder

Thanks josh
The best new muffler tips on the market are from CMI; XTS Mufflers. I just put them on my 38 Powerquest with twin 500's and the dropped the dB by 4, and sounds much better with no internal flappers to rattle.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not referring to the noise aspect of the rubber tipped flappers. I have only heard metal ones at idle anyway.

The concern that I have is that very few people use two methods to prevent water intrusion.
mufflers and flappers fine
but a lot of people are just using the flappers that come with the tips which is what I used to do. When we started putting thru hull on or 17 foot model Merc required to use two sets of flappers to meet installation guidelines. I had never even heard of this before but I have had water run up exhaust on a couple of old performance boats i have had

here is a link to a similar item that we use. I have something similar on ebay but don't want to appear to biased

http://greatlakesskipper.com/custom-...ssembly-single

Just seems like it would be good to know how important something like this is. I know people have had hydra lock. I wonder how often this is the cause.