Oil Routing Issues on 8.1 Mercruiser >

Oil Routing Issues on 8.1 Mercruiser

Notices

Oil Routing Issues on 8.1 Mercruiser

Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Routing Issues on 8.1 Mercruiser

I'm having some serious issues for some reason finding where the oil line coming from my oil cooler is supposed to go. I've posted a few things on a different forum but nobody seems to know where it goes. The motor was handed to me as a project from an engine shop who did not know where all of the marine parts went. It appears I don't either lol. Unfortunately I've put the whole thing together minus this one hangup. I've read some closely related articles on this site and feel that the answer lies within one of you high performance guys. This is a stock engine from 2008.

If my link below works properly, the culprit that I am looking for is where #26 attaches to the motor. I wasn't the one who disassembled this motor and all of the places that I thought might be correct, appear to not be. The oil line has a memory to it, but nothing seems to fall into place correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated. I tried posting a few real life pics of my situation but can't seem to get them to load up to the site so I hope my description will work well enough.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ote+Oil+System
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Haven't worked on a 8.1L but I'll ask - it does not attach to #19 ?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM
Registered

It attaches to the bottom side of the oil pan near the cooler itself.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:03 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

It connects to just under the oil cooler to the engine block just around were the oil pan and the block meet. It is basically right in front of the oil filter boss maybe a couple of inches.

# 26 adaptor fitting goes into that. Merc calls it the engine block oil connector as to were the fitting goes into.. Also you have to route this oil hose a certain way so it does not chaff or get hung up.

Also important info Merc had a Service Bulletin about this hose leaking. I know it was before 2008 but it is listed by engine serial # - it pretained to Merc 496 mag & the HO and Horizon inboards as well. I remember the engine serial #'s started with 0W3 and ended in 0W - I would have to look it up to be exact what range the engine serial #'s it listed for. The jist of the Service Bulletin described that -

" The oil hose between the engine oil cooler and the engine block connector could leak at some point causing the oil to leak into the bilge". Again I would have to look this up for the exact serial # runs for the Merc 496.

Last edited by BUP; 08-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
It connects to just under the oil cooler to the engine block just around were the oil pan and the block meet. It is basically right in front of the oil filter boss maybe a couple of inches.

# 26 adaptor fitting goes into that. Merc calls it the engine block oil connector as to were the fitting goes into.. Also you have to route this oil hose a certain way so it does not chaff or get hung up.

Also important info Merc had a Service Bulletin about this hose leaking. I know it was before 2008 but it is listed by engine serial # - it pretained to Merc 496 mag & the HO and Horizon inboards as well. I remember the engine serial #'s started with 0W3 and ended in 0W - I would have to look it up to be exact what range the engine serial #'s it listed for. The jist of the Service Bulletin described that -

" The oil hose between the engine oil cooler and the engine block connector could leak at some point causing the oil to leak into the bilge". Again I would have to look this up for the exact serial # runs for the Merc 496.
Thanks a ton Bup! Just so that I am clear, it connects into a spot on the oil pan rail type area, but on the block. I assume the fitting faces straight down and not off the block on an angle? I've found two allen key plugs that are next to each other in this general area. Is this the spot you are speaking of? It would be located a little bit behind the oil cooler on the oil pan rail (for lack of better explanation) and is a straight downward facing plug. If these two plugs are the location, does it matter which one I use? I suppose I should remove the plugs from both and visually inspect if they are different in any way.

You've sparked new life into this project and I thank you much for all the help. I will check that area out and keep you posted!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vindicator101
It attaches to the bottom side of the oil pan near the cooler itself.
Vindicator, on the actual oil pan itself, or the block near the oil pan?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Registered

I only know what it looks like it's connected to when the engine is in the boat which is a limited view. "BUP" is a Merc mechanic I believe so is more knowledgeable then I so if he says it's actually the block then I would believe that's the case. Looks like it's #11 on this view.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ft+and+Pistons
Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry here is what I will try to do is have someone throw a couple of pics of it up here for you tomorrow late. I have no idea how to post pics but will try to find some close up pics that I should have of mine as well.

Or if you can pull up Mercruiser Service Bulletin 2005-06 it will tell you all about the SB and it has a pic of exactly where it is. Also who in the world said I was a Merc mechanic - Na, I just stay at the Holiday Inn Express a lot.

Just messin,

25 years of this boat stuff fully & current trained Mercruiser, 1980 to current, Vovlo Penta 1994 to Current, OMC Sterndrives 1986 thru 1998, Indmar & PCM 1994 to current and NOT so heavy on the outboards. Merc, Yama, and J/E but more so than a few outboard techs.

Last edited by BUP; 08-04-2014 at 12:08 AM.