Notices

Merc 8.2 HO problems?

Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 8.2 HO problems?

I'm looking for advice on these motors. Looking at ba 2011 Formula and its on its second new motor under warranty with no arguments from Mercury. The dealer mentioned oils pump issues? Anyone know of this?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I know quite bit about the 8.2 Catalyst engine. Actually I am very current on all the marine catatyst engines. You have to give me your engine serial # because there was some really indepth service bulletins and parts changed on this engine from the get go and after the fact. I also will and check the service bulletins / updates that might not have been to your engine(s). But again it all goes off engine serial #.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I will ask the dealer for the original serial numbers.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Will throw some of this out at you now what I remember. Mercruiser assembles this engine in house. I was told by 2 very reliable sources that the engine block comes from GM but the other source says it comes from Dart.

The heads are Edelbrock and intake is made by them as well but Merc input for the design.

Anyways if the boat is at a Merc dealer they can run your serial # for you and pull up everything. here is what I remember off the top of my head.

The big was SMC- 11-03 and Mercruiser posted it again for the inboard side of the 8.2 cat engine plus revised another 30 page SB - - YES 30 page service bulletin for a Field campaign.

ECT engine hydraulic lock after hard running and keying off. Also it was reported that the flame arrestor clamp was or could be incorrectly positioned. On this motor it is important that it is positioned correctly. Also potential fault codes that may occur due to corrosion in the O2 sensor connection and a PCM replacement to address the injector driver issues that may cause fuel injectors to stick open or closed. There is a lot to this SB but that's the jist.

Also SMC- 10-11R2 Service Bulletin Recall safety recall core wire intermediate shift cable needs to be changed.

Also SB 2012 - 05 fuel line balance hose replacement - fuel leak

also SMC 2012 -06 ECT wiring harness connection repair kit.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE SERVICE BULLETINS AND RECALL ALL FALL UNDER CERTAIN 8.2 MERCRUISER ENGINES as it all falls under engine serial #'s, so not all of this applies to every 8.2's catalyst engine.

I can post the engine serial #'s for the big field campaign one tomorrow after I look it up.

Last edited by BUP; 08-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.