2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Keith Hazell is the reason we race our cobra
That is a great reason to race. He was tough, fast and best of all he was smart...he knew when to push and when to just get through until conditions improved. Good guy!
Old 11-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Off the theme for a min. Mr. Banana! Wasn't Beep - Beep a "Banana" hull also?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
That is a great reason to race. He was tough, fast and best of all he was smart...he knew when to push and when to just get through until conditions improved. Good guy!
Our throttleman was Keith's shop manager, working with guys like Herb Stotler and Mike Bonga. He rigged our cobra at Harbor 1 when it was new, 30 years later it's come back home!
Old 11-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Off the theme for a min. Mr. Banana! Wasn't Beep - Beep a "Banana" hull also?
Peter. It started out with Sonny Miller designing a 44 foot boat with an additional bottom strake and a very narrow entry. The first boat was called La Tortuga and was raced by Sonny Miller, Bob Saccenti and Jon Varese...it was called a MSV. They won the first Benihana race and people started to notice the boat.

Joel Halpern ordered a blocked off version of one that he could call a Cobra brand and. named it Beep Beep. They blocked it down to 38 feet and he began winning races and ordered a few more from Sonny. JC Simon got involved because he helped Halpern get into racing with a smaller production class boat. Joel was US 1 for two years with that setup. I asked JC Simon to design a new boat for me and leave off the bottom strake but keep the narrow bow.

He did and we shared that mold for both 38 footers as Bananas and Coyotes and then blocked the mold down 4 feet and he sold 34 Coyotes and I sold 33 Foot Bananas from the same block. So your Avanti is probably a 34 footer even though they sold it as a 34. You have the same bottom as my Banana and the Coyote, with a new design Avanti deck. Confused yet? Long story short....it is a very good ocean racing design and well proven.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-04-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Our throttleman was Keith's shop manager, working with guys like Herb Stotler and Mike Bonga. He rigged our cobra at Harbor 1 when it was new, 30 years later it's come back home!
Hey don't give too much info away, you will scare off your competition for the Around Long Island race. You guys will do very well. Now we need to get Sheer to put on a lifejacket again and paint anumber on one of those mahogany beauties.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:03 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Hey don't give too much info away, you will scare off your competition for the Around Long Island race. You guys will do very well. Now we need to get Sheer to put on a lifejacket again and paint anumber on one of those mahogany beauties.
I bet we can do it, he's still as competitive as ever
Old 11-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

I know everyone is in Key West that might have these numbers, but......... what are the entry fees that the other racing organizations charging now?

Someone asked earlier about required safety equipment for this race.....Helmets, lifejackets, kill switches, gallon of water for each person on board, sea anchor, tow lines, anchor and 150 feet of line, as far as radios, in the age of cell phones and considering the course, cell phones will probably be allowed instaed of VHF like the old days.

Safety is a very important factor and we will provide each entry with all contact info for help we will have setup all around the island and comoass,headings to get into harbors, etc. The closer we get the more of,this info will be available.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Driver-441
Racer

For OPA we pay a yearly registration fee, and no entry fees. All the required safety equipment is similar to what you're used too. VHF's included.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 577 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm currently looking for a $190k sponsor. Gulf oil ideally.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o59622-en.html
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mr. Banana. I suggest you guys put together ASAP, a leaflet or some advertisement of a sort, that we can put on other places, like FB, other forums etc. to get the word out. Even if it's just a simple thing for now. (IE; I have a bunch of FB friends from Europe, and they don't frequent OSO)
P

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.