2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
So based on my length, I'd be in Class A with boats with unlimited power and/or turbines? So, basically, you're saying that my only shot is if all of these guys break down and I don't.. I am also pretty sure I will need a fuel stop..
Seriously?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Good for you, I wouldn't expect that you would want to. If you have a boat and crew that is capable of running hard, do it. Historic is for those who want to participate in the race and bring their boats to show others what these boats looked and sounded like.
Our throttleman started racing in 1982 with Bob Sheer...we will run hard, but smart.
Hopefully the timing works out
Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
How about a seperate class for each boat?? that way everybody gets a trophy just like kids playing soccer these day...........
We are trying to bring back one of the greatest races in offshore history. There isn't a big group of people out there with boats that all fall into one or two major classes. So, we are trying to fit a bunch of boats that are not the same and let them race together and the ocean will sort them out.

If people are looking for a guarnatee of something more than a participant's plaque at the end of the race, they should be in another kind of racing. Ask anyone who has participated in these kinds of races before, they have nothing to say but good things about the experience.

These are tough races, there are lots of things that you as a crew have to do correctly to just finish, never mind win your class or win overall. We are open to everyone joining this tribute to Don Aronow, racing over a course that is legendary in the history of our sport. We look forward to next August.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously?
I'll ask you to forgive my unfamiliarity with racing and what's involved here. I'm personally just interested in participating and finishing, but was just wondering how competitive I would actually be in a class with those boats and whether I would be really outgunned in my "mildly powered" Fountain, ie: my top speed at best is 90 MPH.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Peter. I will be sitting at someone elses table, but I will see what I can do for you.
We don't expect 20 plus year old boats to run old power.
Thanks Charlie, any table will be ok. I'm sure we will be wondering around.
However 20 year old boat...., If anyone interested and have some pretty good size cahoonas and a few $, I will let some one use my 1994 Infinity with 454mag and Bravo to do the run. It will surely fit into the "H" class and all you have to do is transport and pay for your own stuff. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll ask you to forgive my unfamiliarity with racing and what's involved here. I'm personally just interested in participating and finishing, but was just wondering how competitive I would actually be in a class with those boats and whether I would be really outgunned in my "mildly powered" Fountain, ie: my top speed at best is 90 MPH.
Hi5.. Just some thoughts for you. Depending on sea conditions, and I'm not familiar with the area but assume that it could be pretty rough based on what I heard and seen. A 47 with trips can finish even with 2 motors while a twin turbine would not with one. A High HP boat would not able to use all the ponies and speed at certain conditions, so if you can run and stay 80+ for 271 miles you would be pretty competitive. Just my .02
Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Hi5.. Just some thoughts for you. Depending on sea conditions, and I'm not familiar with the area but assume that it could be pretty rough based on what I heard and seen. A 47 with trips can finish even with 2 motors while a twin turbine would not with one. A High HP boat would not able to use all the ponies and speed at certain conditions, so if you can run and stay 80+ for 271 miles you would be pretty competitive. Just my .02
Yes, it definitely can get pretty sketchy out there and my boat does handle the slop pretty well, so that could be a bit of an equalizer. It will all come down to what conditions are like on game day... either way, I think it will be a great experience and I'm already putting a crew together..
Old 11-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

We are trying to bring back one of the greatest races in offshore history. There isn't a big group of people out there with boats that all fall into one or two major classes. So, we are trying to fit a bunch of boats that are not the same and let them race together and the ocean will sort them out.

If people are looking for a guarnatee of something more than a participant's plaque at the end of the race, they should be in another kind of racing. Ask anyone who has participated in these kinds of races before, they have nothing to say but good things about the experience.

These are tough races, there are lots of things that you as a crew have to do correctly to just finish, never mind win your class or win overall. We are open to everyone joining this tribute to Don Aronow, racing over a course that is legendary in the history of our sport. We look forward to next August.
Top Banana, my post about the individual class fpr everyone was typed in the "major sarcasam font"
Old 11-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Top Banana, my post about the individual class fpr everyone was typed in the "major sarcasam font"
It just gave me an opportunity to explain once again what we are trying to do. No problem.

Now, I am off to OFF where a group of former racers will sit around and tell stories that are all based on a simple rule....

The Older I get....The faster I was.

And the best part is that no one will argue, because we would all feel bad if that guy was gone before the next reunion. Sad part of this group with this much experience is......when we are all gone the library is closed. Harry Schoell said that not long ago.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

If the water is mildly rough I think you would stand a chance. The info in the other thread says it all when showing the average speeds of some FAST boats on Sunday's Key West race.

Miss Geico....81 MPH
CMS..............79 MPH
Lucas Vee.....75 MPH
Broadco........80 MPH
Stihl...............82 MPH
Twisted Mtl....80 MPH
Hooters.........79 MPH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.