2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
We would probably put you in where your boat length is equal to others.

Not a definite answer at this point.
Single engine racing against twins? I'm in I have talked to Guy about it in the past and Meyer said he would take the ride.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by extras
Single engine racing against twins? I'm in I have talked to Guy about it in the past and Meyer said he would take the ride.
LOL....you guys were born a few decades too late, you would have been World Champs in the 60's.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a single engine record?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I'll ask you to forgive my unfamiliarity with racing and what's involved here. I'm personally just interested in participating and finishing, but was just wondering how competitive I would actually be in a class with those boats and whether I would be really outgunned in my "mildly powered" Fountain, ie: my top speed at best is 90 MPH.
Anyone who runs flat out the whole time most likely won't finish anyway. I'm am extremely interested in doing this race. I have a throttle man made for this endurance race myself. When we spoke briefly he laid out a plan. Not much of it included wot. Being that we are from Long Island we have a better knowledge of Long Island waters and what to look out for. I don't know if anyone saw the pictures of the Connecticut run to river head . The gut made them shut the camera off hahaa. Plum gut is a ***** with the wrong tide and wind hyfive hit me up if your really interested. I will have fresh motors and ready to go in August.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
Well, this is all very inspiring. If our OPA thing does not interfere, we'll be there. But we're not there for a joy ride. There to win! Get that Johnny? :-)
Yeah yeah....
Old 11-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by extras
Is there a single engine record?
Apparently in 1967 the win was in 5:23.

That was Dick Genth driving a Formula. He was later the head of Donzi and Wellcraft Scarab too.

He started out as a pilot for fighter jets.

Yes, the sport has attracted a lot of shy personalities over the years.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this is all very inspiring. If our OPA thing does not interfere, we'll be there. But we're not there for a joy ride. There to win! Get that Johnny? :-)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 577 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
If the water is mildly rough I think you would stand a chance. The info in the other thread says it all when showing the average speeds of some FAST boats on Sunday's Key West race.

Miss Geico....81 MPH
CMS..............79 MPH
Lucas Vee.....75 MPH
Broadco........80 MPH
Stihl...............82 MPH
Twisted Mtl....80 MPH
Hooters.........79 MPH
An apache would have won for sure.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:44 AM
Registered

Well congratulations! I got a phone call last night by an entrant who told me he just completed the deal to purchase an older 38 foot boat that is set up for a staggered engine setup.

After a repower, he will be using that boat as his entry for this race. Very reasonable expense from what he told me.

Those old boats are out there and would make some very nice race boats for an endurance series like we plan to have.

Looking forward to more stories like this one. Anyone who plans to do something like this please post the work being done with pics and let us all enjoy the journey along with you from now to the start in August.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-14-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Registered

PROPOSED RULES.........AGAIN, THESE ARE PROPOSED NOT FINAL RULES
More discussion will be had before final rules are adapted.

Racing number: Must be attached to both sides of boat and be visible from above. Sizes to follow.

Speed: All boats must be capable of exceeding 40 knots, except for Historic Class boats. Historic class boats must be capable of exceeding 30 knots.

Ballast tanks: Bow ballast tanks are permitted.

Bilge Pumps: All boats must have both automatic bilge pumps and a manual bilge pump.

Safety Kill Switches: All boats must be equipped with safety kill switches. Tethers must be attached to all crew members at all times when the boat is racing or practicing.

Compass: All boats must be equipped with a liquid filled magnetic compass. Electronic compasses may be used in addition.

Fog Horn / Light: All boats shall carry an efficient fog horn and a powerful waterproof light.

National Flag: All boats shall display their national flag in either fabric or graphic form so as to be visible from both sides of the boat.

Personal safety equipment required on each crew member
Helmets....Orange in color / painted or wrapped
Lifejackets.....With neck collar and leg straps
Protective clothing....Must cover torso and all limbs to the ankle and wrists.
Whistle, Medical Compress and Knife....All crew must carry on their person while racing.
One gallon of water for each crew member is to be carried on board.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-14-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.