2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-14-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got dibs. on " No. 13 "
Here's a boat just begging to be restored and run the ALI.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]532606[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon-scorpian-retro.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pant / long sleeve thing is interesting. ...
How about you take advantage of modern technology with such a long course the participants have the potential to be spread out over 50+ miles.

P.l.b.'s attached to everyone's vest. They are dirt cheap now.
Hand held or on board vhf?????? A lot more reliable than a cell at sea

Last edited by scarab63; 11-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike, it's a race around the costline of LI. LI is flat and very populated... Do you really think there's much of a concern for cell reception?
Old 11-14-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SS930
Mike, it's a race around the costline of LI. LI is flat and very populated... Do you really think there's much of a concern for cell reception?
idk about that......but I know my cell doesn't pick up uscg security , pan pan, or mayday announcements. My cell also doesn't have a dsc "oh sh1t" button for if things go bad fast.

I was saying it more so for the sake that each boat should run the same vhf channel in the case that a rescue vehicle is further away than another racer is for an absolute emergency. I know Id stop racing to assist a capsized , on fire, etc boat that is racing. If it were 1 mile behind you might not even know it's there, but you could be the closest responder. A 2 second vhf blip could potentially save a life. A lot easier than having a rolodex of each racers cell #

Seems a lot more logical than long pants and a hailing flag.

I guess in my previous post I should have used "practical" in place of "reliable".

Last edited by scarab63; 11-14-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Registered

Excited for this

Idea---- If all the boats will have GPS units in them

Do the classes with speed caps and have the unlimited class with none

Most GPS units can track top speed.. if you exceed the top speed of the class you enter, you get penalized or bumped up to the next class

So boat size, engine config, hull type doesn't matter, consistency, navigation, and strategy will be more of a factor
Old 11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

I was there Sunday and couldnt help but think the conditions were pretty much like the conditions from Plum Gut/Montauk all the way to the East River!

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
If the water is mildly rough I think you would stand a chance. The info in the other thread says it all when showing the average speeds of some FAST boats on Sunday's Key West race.

Miss Geico....81 MPH
CMS..............79 MPH
Lucas Vee.....75 MPH
Broadco........80 MPH
Stihl...............82 MPH
Twisted Mtl....80 MPH
Hooters.........79 MPH
Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

awesome; "Do the classes with speed caps and have the unlimited class with none
Most GPS units can track top speed.. if you exceed the top speed of the class you enter, you get penalized or bumped up to the next class
So boat size, engine config, hull type doesn't matter, consistency, navigation, and strategy will be more "
As per previous post, NO SPEED CAPS, Limiting speeds is not a race, that's a show. I like the "shows" too, but speed limits are not for this.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Limiting speeds is not a race, that's a show. I like the "shows" too, but speed limits are not for this.
Wanna bet?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Up here at OFF and had some interesting conversations yesterday in regards to this upcoming race.

One of the most interesting was the one where more than one person said ......it seems like the time is right to re-create what we remember as the old Open Class. To do that we would create a class that would take all of the old Vee bottom boats out there that are waiting for a new life, flat bottom or step bottom, that are between 35 feet and 45 feet long.

Doesn't matter who made them, Cigarette, Apache, Fountain, Squadron XII, Coyote, Banana, Sonic, or you fill in the blank. Now allow them to run any engine that does not exceed a certain cu in limit ( In the old days Open boats ahd a limit of 1,000 cu in.) And leave fuel system open...Injection, single carb, twin carbs etc. And only allow log manifold exhaust. Drives would be open TRS, Speedmaster 3's to 6's to Arneson to Ilmor. These boats could run for a very reasonable budget as they would,not have to be rebuilt after every race.

The size of these boats would allow simple transportation methods, behind pickups from 250's to 650's as an example. Over,the course of a season with 5 or 6 races in all kinds of water conditions the racing would be pretty close. Some people who race in the roundy round style racing, may be up for an old style open ocean race. Someone mentioned yesterday, that the old races were more like an adventure and had drama, once you were out of sight of land and you knew you were on your own.

At some point in the future use this class as the foundation to bring back the old factory class F2. That was a time when the racing was very close, the costs were restricted somewhat and the number of entries were up there and the factories were developing hull shapes that are still in use today.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-15-2014 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:20 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limiting speeds is not a race, that's a show.

Really? A show is something you bring popcorn to or drink champagne at the end of the act in the lobby. Also a show is when 1 boat goes round and round by himself and wins. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.