Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 12-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off Montauk Pt I would think you could see some good offshore action as they round the bend, then by Breezy pt around the getty. Ft Hamilton is nice it's high up and you will see them coming as they shoot under the Verrazano Bridge, then on Governors Island you would be up close. Any where in the city is good and then under the Hells Gate Bridge in Astoria Park you would see it up close also tricky there two currents meet there and it can get rough. Also a bodega up the street that sells beers in case you run out.
If anyone needs a navigator give me call.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dock in Sea Cliff, so I will probably be out for the start, and the finish and might have room for one or two people, but will not know till we get closer to the event.

With the above said, I think Turbo Jet's recomendation is spot on, and you would get a much better vantage point from any of those place he mentioned (IMO).

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Will there be any spectator boats that some fans could pay to be on to watch the start &/or finish?

I feel they would be to far offshore to really see.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I am now unfortunately out. I thought my son's college move-in weekend was August 15/16 as it has been the last two years. I found out this weekend that it is August 22/23, so I will be out of town for this race. I'm very disappointed as I was really looking forward to doing this. Best of luck to everyone!! If for some reason, the date gets changed to earlier in August, I'd be in..
Sorry to hear that. Well, there is always next year to consider.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Offshore Dreamer
Will there be any spectator boats that some fans could pay to be on to watch the start &/or finish?

I feel they would be to far offshore to really see.
I have not spoken to him yet, but the owner of the marina that we use as the pit area, has a large vessel that he runs dinner cruises from Port Washington to New York City. If there is enough interest, he may consider using that to bring people out to watch the start.

The finish is really boats that are very much all over the place and could be hours apart, so I would think the start is the best for spectators.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:28 AM
Registered

Charlie, i'll know friday night but i believe we'll be there with a 27 scarab and a 37 at with arnesons and blower motors
Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Registered

I have 2) more I think. A 27 baja 700hp and a 33 skater ( he said 2000hp) I guess we will see but top banana where is it I can find out what I need eg: life jackets, something about a GPS tracker? Numbers? Etc. and where and when to sign up. I don't want this to be forgotten. I have been talking to some of my distributors and contractors. Most are willing to sponsor me. Not sure to what extent but anything helps
Old 12-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I am now unfortunately out. I thought my son's college move-in weekend was August 15/16 as it has been the last two years. I found out this weekend that it is August 22/23, so I will be out of town for this race. I'm very disappointed as I was really looking forward to doing this. Best of luck to everyone!! If for some reason, the date gets changed to earlier in August, I'd be in..
Sucks you can't go. I was hoping for more Long Island boaters.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drew555
I have 2) more I think. A 27 baja 700hp and a 33 skater ( he said 2000hp) I guess we will see but top banana where is it I can find out what I need eg: life jackets, something about a GPS tracker? Numbers? Etc. and where and when to sign up. I don't want this to be forgotten. I have been talking to some of my distributors and contractors. Most are willing to sponsor me. Not sure to what extent but anything helps
We will have final info on both classes and equipment needed right after,the first of the year. As far as racing equipment for each person, it will be pretty much what all of the race organizations require, helmet, life jackets, etc.

As far as trackers....all boats will have a tracker put on them by the race comittee at no charge. These will be used to track every boat wherever they are on the course. First for safety, so all boats can be tracked and second, these trackers will allow the race to be followed online from all over the world.

Sponsorship is always good, you never know where it might lead. Remember when a Japanese restaurant owner was given the opportunity to sponsor one race in NJ. Before he knew it, Rocky Aoki and Benihana became part of offshore history.

That is why it is so important that your sponsors know we are racing in the NY Metro area, that is a lot of eyeballs for their products or services.

Last edited by Top Banana; 12-10-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by butch ryan
Charlie, i'll know friday night but i believe we'll be there with a 27 scarab and a 37 at with arnesons and blower motors
Now your talking. Both sound like they will be very competitive in their class. Looking forward to your positive confirmation. Anything we can do to help ......let us know.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Back in the day!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534275[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]534276[/ATTACH] Something from my collection.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon-2014-12-14-175611_3.jpg   2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon-2014-12-14-180409.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.