Notices

Coast Guard Documentation

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
NOT TRUE. NET TONNAGE IS NOT THE SAME AS WEIGHT!!!!!!!

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume. It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons. Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more. For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine website. It is straight forward. A 25 outlaw can be documented!
True. My 26' boat is documented.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Cigrocket is correct ------------- has nothing to do with weight it is figured by volume So do not worry that your boat does not weigh 10000 lbs.

Jim
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
FYI. Most states are requiring you to also register your boat in your state even if it is documented. They just want more of your money. Also documentation used to be a way around purchase taxes. Now they are closing that loop hole as well.
You might be able to skirt sales tax but in most cases your state will come after you for use tax. California is really bad about that. The Coast Guard lets what ever state your domicile is know that you documented a vessel with them. With California they automatically send a bill to you for sales tax or use tax even if you never brought the boat into the state. They just assume that you did and you have to prove that you didn't. They make every threat under the sun till you either pay up or show proof and documentation that the boat isn't in the state and hasn't been for a year. Other states have similar laws on the books but most don't enforce them. California has been hard up for cash for several years so they're pinching everyone.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^^^ yes
Old 01-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Im under 10k and am documented and I also got hit with use taxs in ohio. They will get there money one way or another
Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

I was lucky in Indiana I didn't have to pay sales tax when I bought (7%). Still had to register but that wasn't bad.

When I moved to FL they get you for a "impact fee" on everything including motorcycle. Then just the register fees.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well then that leaves me terribly confused about net tons, weight, displacement, volume because some of this is the same. The displacement of a boat is it's weight, as I understand it and I don't understand how this relates to volume and weight if they are different. Yes I just made the connection of tons to weight but if volume and displacement are factors then I'll have to see their concept or math on this method.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Thanks for all your advice guys. I'm documenting because my lender is requiring it. It will also be registered in Michigan.
That is extremely common. It is called a "First Preferred Ship Mortgage" a bank likes it for the paper work lien process. ie: free and clear deed/title terminology. And oddly enough "A documented vessel may not be titled by a State.... per USC % 12106(a) and the Doc# shown on the Certificate of Documentation must be permanently affixed to a structural part of the hull". etc, etc, etc. This # is- assigned and is unique to the vessel, like its HIN . there is more to it too. example: "State and local officials have the right to board documented vessels for law enforcement purposes. Many states require registration of documented vessels for tax purposes. You may be required to place a decal on your vessel showing that you have complied with state requirements". Contact state authorities for further information. USCG cover letter May (2012)

I for one do not understand the Title vs Doc.reasoning, I have both because my State is a Title state. From what I understand all "new" boats have HIN#'s and Cert. of origin anyways. Any comments welcome.

Mark, best of luck to you, with your new to you - OL those colors r-FAB

And as far as the weight, mine is stated twice:

Gross Tonnage = 10 GRT

Net Tonnage = 8 NRT

Last edited by I'CE; 01-22-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Well then that leaves me terribly confused about net tons, weight, displacement, volume because some of this is the same. The displacement of a boat is it's weight, as I understand it and I don't understand how this relates to volume and weight if they are different. Yes I just made the connection of tons to weight but if volume and displacement are factors then I'll have to see their concept or math on this method.

I believe the tonnage is calculated based on the volume displaced x the weight of water (64#/cubic ft)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Remember, we're dealing with the gov't, so common sense doesn't necessarily apply.

Weight isn't displacement, but probably is a factor in displacement (I'm guessing) so tonnage could be a factor of the weight of the boat + the volume of water it displaces when floating.

Also - a boat has "weight", but also displaces a certain measurement of water, and if tonnage is measured similar to GVW of a vehicle there is also the weight it can carry (payload) which has to be factored in as it will displace more water when loaded.

I'm curious & when I run out of things to do will look up the definition of "tonnage" but I'm guessing it's vessel weight + payload with possibly volume of water displaced added to the equation.

I know captains are licensed based on tonnage they are qualified to be in control of and there is a big difference between an empty freighter and one that's loaded.

But I'm just thinking' out loud here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.