Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
please, please warn all your friends.... >

please, please warn all your friends....

Notices

please, please warn all your friends....

Old 09-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the reason for a "Letters to the Editor" section in most papers. Someone from OSO who knows both proper boating ethics, right of ways, etc.. should respond to disabuse the reporter of his improper notions.
Absolutely. We had a fatal accident on Winni a few weeks ago and that began the performance boat bashing.

I couldn't take much more, so wrote a letter to the editor which was publised. Don't know if it helped, but it helped me get things off my chest.

Pardon my self-promotion, but here it is:

Letter to the Editor

Everyone should do the same, and let others hear "our" side of things.

Last edited by bajadude; 09-04-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just sent this to the editor.

In regards to your article about the river crash. You don't think it is possible that the driver of the smaller boat is lieing to save his butt do you. What you describe is a common description of what is known as wake jumping. Where a small boat jumps the wake of a big boat to get some air time. Those small boats will NOT slide sideways for more than 50 ft let alone 4 or 5 seconds. I would say that the guy with the smaller boat more than likely landed right in front of the lerger boat and had no time to swerve. This has happened to me many times where I have to swerve to miss the smaller boat ( jet ski ). The way you wrote the article you put the blame for the accident on the larger boat not on the person that drove right in front of him without looking first. Would you blame the semi truck driver for an accident if a small car pulled right out in front of him at a cross street. Steve W.
Old 09-04-2002, 08:07 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good chance the high school student was jumping wakes on purpose. I think he should know not to get a small boat in the wake of a large cruiser, even when I overtake a cruiser I feel a little loss of control "25' stepped hull" I slow down.
Whats the crap about the 42'er not giving assitance?
I'd like to know how much distance was between the cruiser
and the 42'er
Old 09-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I sent a letter to the editor as well.
Old 09-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's what I wrote to the editor:

I'm a boater, and there have been several occasions where I have seen people on Dea Doos (jet skis/jet boats) following closer behind larger vessels to jump the wakes that the larger vessels leave behind.These larger vessels can be very difficult to see around when following closely behind especially when the Dea Doo or any other watercraft is much smaller---it's simply difficult to see what is in front on the larger vessel i.e. any on coming traffic, etc. In order for a Sea Doo to jump the wake of a larger boat he almost has to act as if he is passing or pulling out from behind the boat he is attempting to jump the wake from. This is usually going to be something like a 30-45 degree angle and can be a potentially dangerous manuveras one cannot see any on coming traffic and blindly executes the manuver without looking for any on coming traffic. This is especially dangerous in a river where there isn't much room for error and on coming traffic most likely has the right of way. The Dea Doo operator is most likely not going to see any on coming boat traffic until he totally exposes the boat/crew and thus makes it too late to respond. An analogy being like a car attempting to pass from behind a semi without first checking for any on coming traffic and thus blindly pulling out in the other lane. It's a roll of the dice.

When a boat goes airborne, you cannot "wrestle it down", but you are rather at its mercy until the boat lands. I am quite sure that in a river where room is a little tighter than normal, that the on coming boat had no time to react as the Sea Doo came darting out blindly from behind the larger vessel it was following and ultimately trying to jump its wake, and with all due respect---a FATAL mistake.

As a boater, on many occasions I have had to avoid Sea Doos whose operators are not watching where they're going. Many of them are inexperienced and do not look BEFORE they excute a turn or make a change of direction---and those Sea Doos can pracitcally turn on a dime! A 42' vessel such as the one described and involved in the accident, are NOT capable of turning/reacting as sharply or quickly as a much smaller Sea Doo type craft is capable of doing.

It's a tragic and sad story for both parties involved either way. With all due respect as well, it sounds like the reporting by Dave Haney is a bit emotional and very biased.

Mark
Old 09-05-2002, 08:04 AM
Registered

Thumbs up just something else to add

In all my time boating (about 20 yrs), I have never seen a boat operator given a standing ovation for the way he handled his vessel. One summer evening, I watched him pivot this 42' Fountain broadside between a 38 Formula and 4 other boats rafted off behind him. Everyone in a packed marina (boats rafted 3 and 4 deep where there should have been 1) and all the onlookers on the pier above stood and applauded the skill this guy demonstrated. I will always remember that - a skilled driver who I would tie up with or ride with ANYTIME - and still do

Zack

Forgot to add, this reporter is WAY off base skewing the facts. If she had ever spent any real seat time behind the wheel, or even out on the river for that matter, she would have NO problem picturing how the events unfolded.

Last edited by razor1115; 09-05-2002 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaama, I really like your letter, I hope it gets published.

Phknlwyr,

I hope you are right about you analysis of the situation, I am very anti personal injury lawyers. Having been sued for 1M for a broken leg in a boating related accident was absolutely absurd. The piece of crap was just out for money and made it known to everyone. His lawyer was just as bad, they both lied and submitted false claims spread rumors and even published crap in local paper. I am sincerely hoping they both get charged with insurance fraud and do time.

It is ashame people like this exist, I do not mean to dump on lawyers but neither party had any ethics. That is the simple truth.

Will Murray
Old 09-05-2002, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also know of the guy who ownes the 42, he is an experienced boater and I have also seen him in tight areas that he has gotten out of, it is a shame that this happened. I hope that nothing comes of this but it probably will.

Baja and Frequency I also boat out of eastport when I'm over there, have friends there on E and F dock.
Baja I believe I met you on Sun at party I have 29 PQ "Thumpers Evil Twin".

Anyway back to business lets all hope this works out for owner of the 42 and that the press correctly acknowledges that big boats are not always at fault.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also know of the guy who ownes the 42, he is an experienced boater and I have also seen him in tight areas that he has gotten out of, it is a shame that this happened. I hope that nothing comes of this but it probably will.

Razor and Frequency I also boat out of eastport when I'm over there, have friends there on E and F dock.
Razor I believe I met you on Sun at party I have 29 PQ "Thumpers Evil Twin".

Anyway back to business lets all hope this works out for owner of the 42 and that the press correctly acknowledges that big boats are not always at fault.