Notices

Bob-Lo Island . . . .

Old 09-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We used to go walk around the grounds all the time, until I got a DUI -- the building are all there and it's pretty cool. The restaurant is good an the grounds are all still kept up for walking around.

I'm a bit of a Boblo-buff myself, neat history.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOlQ9If_cA "Surrender pronto .. or we`ll level Toronto"
Old 09-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCLiberator
We used to go walk around the grounds all the time, until I got a DUI -- the building are all there and it's pretty cool. The restaurant is good an the grounds are all still kept up for walking around.

I'm a bit of a Boblo-buff myself, neat history.

Didn't they just move one of the Boblo boats to New York and the doctor that owns the other one is trying to find somewhere to keep the other one now?
Are they doing a haunted theater on the boat now?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Registered

Yes, one is gone, it left from Toledo for New York a few weeks back, we went down to "say goodbye" and see it being towed away, pretty neat. They made one of the boats into a Haunted House about 10 years ago -- the "Ste. Claire", but only had it for one year. It was cool, something different. The sign is actually the sign from the park that sat outside the magic show building when the Haunted Theater was running there, I sold it to a collector years ago.

In Gibraltar where my boat is at, the Ticket booth is permanently installed in one of the parks there as decoration and the other is owned by my marina, who will no doubt let it rot, just like they are letting the marina rot away. Both of these were from the Gibraltar Dock, which is where my rack and launch building is located now, built on the old dock site.

Last edited by BBCLiberator; 09-28-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is now harder to come back to the US than it is to enter Canada.....
Old 09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Registered

I had a DUI 20 years ago and I have been going to Canada every year since on fishing trips, (by car) except for the last three years because I don't fish anymore. I have never had a issue crossing into Canada but have had difficulty coming back, but not because of the DUI.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
Ah Canada, home of the hoser and back bacon. 1st- If you touch ground in Canada you have to check in. If you drop anchor in Canada you have to check in. If you beach your boat in Canada, you have to check in. IF you are passing thru Canadian waters from the US you are OK, but you can not stop and drift in Canadian waters. (I go up the South Channel from St Clair Shores a lot on my way up to Algonac but I don't stop.)
2nd- I have heard that if you do touch Canadian ground and don't check in and come back, things can be bad (ie seize your boat)
3rd- Boblo island is private property and that could be considered trespassing so things could be really bad (not checking in and trespassing)
4th- the Canadian and American Coasties and Border patrol are ALWAYS watching.
The Rules and Laws are the same for both Countries with the exception of Drinking on your boat in the U.S.. They use to rent bikes to ride around Boblo island behind the Bar and Grill, they have been developing Boblo Island for Condo's and Homes for at least 10 years.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rfgonzo
I had a DUI 20 years ago and I have been going to Canada every year since on fishing trips, (by car) except for the last three years because I don't fish anymore. I have never had a issue crossing into Canada but have had difficulty coming back, but not because of the DUI.
You slipped through the cracks, or are very lucky. I have not had that kind of luck...unfortunately. I've been turned back on more than one occasion.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
Ah Canada, home of the hoser and back bacon. 1st- If you touch ground in Canada you have to check in. If you drop anchor in Canada you have to check in. If you beach your boat in Canada, you have to check in. IF you are passing thru Canadian waters from the US you are OK, but you can not stop and drift in Canadian waters. (I go up the South Channel from St Clair Shores a lot on my way up to Algonac but I don't stop.)
2nd- I have heard that if you do touch Canadian ground and don't check in and come back, things can be bad (ie seize your boat)
3rd- Boblo island is private property and that could be considered trespassing so things could be really bad (not checking in and trespassing)
4th- the Canadian and American Coasties and Border patrol are ALWAYS watching.

That is actually not quite right. This year the law changed, and any time you enter Canadian waters you are supposed to report to customs. It used to be if you do not anchor or step foot on Canadian soil you are fine, but not anymore.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAT
A friend of mine was caught with weed when he was 17 or 18, he's 65 now and retired. We were going on a motorcycle trip together to upstate New York a couple years ago, he couldn't go through Canada. They wouldn't let him in, we had to ride around instead. They didn't even want to talk about it, he was deemed Undesirable what the Heck?!
Seriously? That is really screwed up. I will post an update when I try to cross the border in February. I have Canadian internet friends and don't want to rag on Canada but really, WTF?

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I get that. I guess I'm asking if you have what they consider a "criminal record" to the extent they don't want you there, but you get in. You can get in trouble coming back??? I would assume a lot of people have no clue that a DUI can cause issues.
Originally Posted by low_psi
It is now harder to come back to the US than it is to enter Canada.....
How can they refuse entry to the USA if you are a citizen? Then you would truly be a man without a country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.