Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat? >

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Notices

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, think about the kinds of guys that get in to flying helicopters...these aren't guys driving Prius to work. These guys like speed and horsepower. Not a surprise they might come have a look.

My favorite helicopter story was a couple years ago, I was in Hawaii with my buddy on his Sunsation. We were coming back to the trailer through Pearl Harbor on Pearl Harbor Day. There was a formation of Black Hawks hovering in the middle of the harbor and one in the center had a giant American flag. As we passed under them, the formation started following us for a good 5 minutes. Eventually peeled off then back to their hovering with the flag station. VERY COOL and I loved it.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Yeah, think about the kinds of guys that get in to flying helicopters...these aren't guys driving Prius to work. These guys like speed and horsepower. Not a surprise they might come have a look.
Makes sense. I had a guy on a sport bike turn around and follow me to a gas station Saturday because he recognized the paint scheme and had never seen a Progression in person. Spent about 15 minutes at the pumps talking to him about the boat.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

They are looking for bOObs.

Chris
Old 06-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss

Chris
Me too.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 597 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss

Chris
I have said for years. If you have a girl with boobs on the deck or sun pad in Fort Myers , the Coasties are pulling you over.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
I ran down to Erie today with the family, lots of boats out.
Ever make it down to clam diggers?

Side note, last Saturday I got stopped by 2 different coast gaurd boats in Lake Erie, south west side. First they wanted to see everything, bunch of younger kids, second I just gave them my first inspection. All in all, a positive experience just wish I didn't get bugged.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Definitely checking out your boat if doing it up there.

My old man gets stopped all the time in Florida and he has a trawler that won't go over 23mph. They do that not just to check for drugs, but to check for people. You can fit a lot of **** in a boat like that, and a lot of people. They want to make sure that no one has hijacked the boat or that you haven't picked up a bunch of people on a raft. Smugglers are using these old people boats a lot more and they know that. Someone he knows picked up 9 young guys on a raft because they weren't gonna make it, and he called them in to come pick them up. But....he rode for hours with these guys in the boat. That could be unsafe if those guys did anything stupid. Standard equipment on that trawler is a couple short barrel shotguns, some ARs, and plenty of bullets.

Every trip from Ft. Myers to the Keys, or from the keys out to tortugas and beyond, he is guaranteed to get boarded. They are very nice and just checking for his safety amongst other things
Old 06-21-2016, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It's kind of cool when they buzz me. Scared the hell out of me the second time though. We were taking a break by the Detroit River Light on the way to PIB once and spotted this border patrol boat nearby so went over to talk to them. We bullsh*tted awhile and they asked if I wanted to trade boats. Noting the gun mounts on the bow and stern I said "sure, as long as you include the weapons".

Old 06-21-2016, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Who made that wind deflector?!
Old 06-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Arkansas, we have a training base for C-130s and we have a lot of flyovers by them on our local lake. Well, one day we had a friend of my GF on board and she just "happened" to flash her boobs when one was flying about 500ft overhead. Next thing we know this guy banks WAY hard and circles around and flys over at less than 100'! It was cool but kinda scary! Those things are huge!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.