Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat? >

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Notices

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Twice they have come down right over the top of my boat from behind, very low. Are they looking to see what's in my boat? Surely if someone had contraband they would put it under the bow. I really don't mind but I wonder why they do it. Maybe just because they can. Once was last week and I hear fwap, fwap, fawp, fawp, fawp and I'm like crap what did I break now and over comes the chopper. Kind of cool actually but WTF? Both times have been on the channels around Harsen's Island on Lake St. Clair. Security really seems to be ramped up on this area of international waters this year.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

They are probably wondering how you can afford such a pricey boat, or they might be out for a joy ride, or a training exercise, and like your boat or, if you just bought it lately, maybe they still think the previous owner is up to no good. LOL
Is there not a Coast Guard number you can call to find out more info ?
Any pics of your boat you can post ? They are a beautiful boat.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered

I have lots of pics but there are MUCH more impressive boats out there than my little 22 Donzi.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

They did it to my buddy in the keys in his new Top Gun. Running 70 mph and suddenly they hear the noise/airflow and look over their shoulder to see a huge orange chopper! He waved and they flew right over and off into the horizon!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been boarded in my friends fishing skiff comming in from the Gulf Stream after a day of fishing off Stuart Jenson Beach area. Coast guard jumped on board with M16s drilled holes in all the enclosed bulkheads. Upon them finding nothing and starting to leave friend ask them what about the damage to my boat. they just said sorry tough luck your problem.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Have been boarded in my friends fishing skiff comming in from the Gulf Stream after a day of fishing off Stuart Jenson Beach area. Coast guard jumped on board with M16s drilled holes in all the enclosed bulkheads. Upon them finding nothing and starting to leave friend ask them what about the damage to my boat. they just said sorry tough luck your problem.
I've heard those horror stories but they have always been nice to me. Never had a problem. Remember that any boat marked "homeland security" is above the law and can do whatever they want. Be very nice to these people! So far I have seen boats from Macomb County Sheriff, St. Clair County Sheriff, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, Michigan State Police & Detroit Police. Haven't been stopped or boarded yet this year. The CG choppers are everywhere too. And CG ships.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I've heard those horror stories but they have always been nice to me. Never had a problem. Remember that any boat marked "homeland security" is above the law and can do whatever they want. Be very nice to these people! So far I have seen boats from Macomb County Sheriff, St. Clair County Sheriff, Coast Guard, Border Patrol, Michigan State Police & Detroit Police. Haven't been stopped or boarded yet this year. The CG choppers are everywhere too. And CG ships.
Buffalo is the same way. Erie County Sheriff, Niagara County Sheriff, USCG, Homeland Security, NY State Police, NY DEC, Tonawanda Police, Buffalo Police, North Tonawanda Police, etc. Crazy taxpayer dollars being spent on boats
Old 06-17-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the style boats fit there profile...
I have gone out of san diego and been pulled over and had many flys overs....
have had pictures taken of my boat at launch from homeland security.. I just smile and talk with them cause I have nothing to hide or worry about...
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thirdchildhood, were you running south today by Belle Isle when the USCG cutter was heading north? Probably around noon? Saw what looked to be a Donzi getting some air off the wake.

A USCG chopper ran low at us on the Middle Channel as we were leaving Brown's about 3pm, but not "reach out and touch it" close
Old 06-17-2016, 08:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
Thirdchildhood, were you running south today by Belle Isle when the USCG cutter was heading north? Probably around noon? Saw what looked to be a Donzi getting some air off the wake.

A USCG chopper ran low at us on the Middle Channel as we were leaving Brown's about 3pm, but not "reach out and touch it" close
Small world. Yes that was me and I did get some air off that wake! And it was also at brown's that the chopper buzzed us last week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.