What would you do for that last few mph >

What would you do for that last few mph

Notices

What would you do for that last few mph

Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
Yeah they are junk. All three of my motors dyno'd within 8 hp of each other, run flawlessly, idle like stockers, and pull like a freight train.
I have the same problem but with only two engines. 99 42 Lightning 500 Bulldogs ran 78. 2 at 5150 rpm and the Fountain test report said 75 plus.
I installed a Bob M cam along with new lifters, Scorpion rockers, new springs, push rods, new timing sets, valve job, cleaned up the heads and had Nickerson do the stock 800 dp carb's. Also installed Daytona Sensors ignitions.
Was not real happy at first and talked with Mild Thunder about it not running as good as I expected. I found out that we did not have the timing set right, either a screw up or a bad timing light . Put in new plugs gapped to 40 tho. and cleaned the flame arrestors. They looked clean but we're really dirty. Also spent more time setting up the carb's.
The boat now runs 84.6 at 5525 rpm. I will now send my props to my prop wizard and see if I can get a couple there.
Mild Thunder got me going in the right direction and now all is good.
Bob M was good on the cam and also getting all the parts to me. Nickerson was good on the carb's and Mike Duke in Indianapolis was great on the heads and cam install.
I am sure the stock intakes, carb's and certainly the heads are holding me back from my original goals.
Al
Old 09-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ARB38
I have the same problem but with only two engines. 99 42 Lightning 500 Bulldogs ran 78. 2 at 5150 rpm and the Fountain test report said 75 plus.
I installed a Bob M cam along with new lifters, Scorpion rockers, new springs, push rods, new timing sets, valve job, cleaned up the heads and had Nickerson do the stock 800 dp carb's. Also installed Daytona Sensors ignitions.
Was not real happy at first and talked with Mild Thunder about it not running as good as I expected. I found out that we did not have the timing set right, either a screw up or a bad timing light . Put in new plugs gapped to 40 tho. and cleaned the flame arrestors. They looked clean but we're really dirty. Also spent more time setting up the carb's.
The boat now runs 84.6 at 5525 rpm. I will now send my props to my prop wizard and see if I can get a couple there.
Mild Thunder got me going in the right direction and now all is good.
Bob M was good on the cam and also getting all the parts to me. Nickerson was good on the carb's and Mike Duke in Indianapolis was great on the heads and cam install.
I am sure the stock intakes, carb's and certainly the heads are holding me back from my original goals.
Al
That's an impressive gain on speed for cams and some clean-up.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Id have to say, if there is any engine from mercury that benefited from a cam change, the 500 bulldog was it!

Glad its running better now ARB38
Old 09-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well considering I am knocking on 90 with almost a full load of fuel, no steps, calm water, 5 adults, a dragging center drive, and crusty little barnacles on my lowers I will take it.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flyin-Bryan
That's an impressive gain on speed for cams and some clean-up.
That was the point of the long post. Cams worked good.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
Well considering I am knocking on 90 with almost a full load of fuel, no steps, calm water, 5 adults, a dragging center drive, and crusty little barnacles on my lowers I will take it.
Is that yours for sale on facebook? All that hard work, and you're gonna let it go?!
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I saw that too...

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Is that yours for sale on facebook? All that hard work, and you're gonna let it go?!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

but but I thought it was so great???
Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My selling it means it's not great? I am selling it because it's not practical for what I do. It's a great boat and I had a lot of fun making it better. If it doesn't sell, and it probably won't because everyone is a tire kicker, I will keep it and enjoy it as long as I have to.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about bottom blue printing for a couple MPH? always looking for a couple free MPH.. On mine we cleaned up the stock bravo lowers & I've picked up a sold 2 MPH basically just blue printing the cases , so I can only imagine on a bigger boat there's must be something to gain on trueing up the bottom running surface , even more so on a straight bottom V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.