665 inch BBC for LaveyCraft NuEra29 build >

665 inch BBC for LaveyCraft NuEra29 build

Notices

665 inch BBC for LaveyCraft NuEra29 build

Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Great build. Thanks for sharing!!!!! I wish the best for everyone involved.

I have a question, what can't be done with a distributor?

I understand that you are trying to reduce power by reducing timing if the throttle is closed in the upper rpm range.

IMO you need a gps mph vs rpm or a rate of rpm gain to control the torque of the engine.

There are a lot of stadigies that could work if the ecu is capable.
You can't retard the timing far enough to make a big enough difference in torque. If a distributor is phased so that it's correct at say 38º timing............... you are going to have issues pulling the timing way back and still having efficient ignition without misfire. Add this to the fact that we will be doing per-cylinder knock control which is not possible with a single coil. There is a reason the OEM's have all gone individual coil and once you work with it you will see why.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by 900HP
You can't retard the timing far enough to make a big enough difference in torque. If a distributor is phased so that it's correct at say 38º timing............... you are going to have issues pulling the timing way back and still having efficient ignition without misfire. Add this to the fact that we will be doing per-cylinder knock control which is not possible with a single coil. There is a reason the OEM's have all gone individual coil and once you work with it you will see why.
I can understand the rotor phasing concern. I run a distributor (and crank trigger). My timing map has a 30 degree swing with no issues with much higher cylinder pressures (boost). You have a much less chance for a misfire when the cylinder pressure is low (where you want 4 degrees).

Individual cylinder timing with a knock sensor will work fine with just one coil. J&S has been doing it for 25 years.

Just a note on the fuel cooler, I run a fuel temp sensor and you wouldn't believe how much the fuel heats up. Just for that reason I run a smaller pump and have a Weldon 2025 kick in under boost to keep the fuel temp down.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 PM
Registered

Also forgot to add that you can't go wrong with the ID1000 injectors. I run the ID2000 injectors and am amazed at the linear output. They are so easy to tune.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also run the id's. Great idle quality with zero big flow numbers.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mark and I just talked about this today and somethings new coming to market that we will be looking into with injectors including a external fuel pump..
Old 11-20-2016, 07:42 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I can understand the rotor phasing concern. I run a distributor (and crank trigger). My timing map has a 30 degree swing with no issues with much higher cylinder pressures (boost). You have a much less chance for a misfire when the cylinder pressure is low (where you want 4 degrees).

Individual cylinder timing with a knock sensor will work fine with just one coil. J&S has been doing it for 25 years.

Just a note on the fuel cooler, I run a fuel temp sensor and you wouldn't believe how much the fuel heats up. Just for that reason I run a smaller pump and have a Weldon 2025 kick in under boost to keep the fuel temp down.
John are you talking about your car (drag car ) not boat here ? Just asking before I make a comment ( fuel temps)
Old 11-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
John are you talking about your car (drag car ) not boat here ? Just asking before I make a comment ( fuel temps)
Sorry I should have specified John. Yes this is on my car. I know the fuel tank is much smaller than a boat but I bet the tank lasts longer than a boat lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Posted this in another thread, but 14 apache thought i should mention it here too.

Hes another AFR head, with a ductile iron seat, used in an offshore boat. About 20 hours on the head.

Offshore engines see extreme exhaust temps, most of the time the boat is up on plane.
Attached Thumbnails 665 inch BBC for LaveyCraft NuEra29 build-img_66591.jpg  
Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates how are the heads flowing theses days?
Old 12-20-2016, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Kind of wondered on this build too...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.