Notices

USCG documentation

Old 03-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherry82482
Torch LK,

I live in southeast Michigan and ran into the same dilemma as yourself. I bought a boat from Minnesota (title state) and was transferring boat ownership to Michigan (title state). Since I took a loan out on boat purchase, I was required by my financial institution to register my boat with CG (ship mortgage) because boat was over 25 FT in length. Before starting the long and pain CG process, I went to Michigan Secretary Of States Office with previous owners Minnesota Title and original "Bill of Sale". I paid sales tax, titled and register the boat in my name (just like registering a car in Michigan). Michigan Secretary Of States Office also gave me my MC #'s and registration sticker on the spot. After receiving my Michigan Title in the mail 10 days later I then started the CG registration process. I refused to give the bank or CG my newly issued Michigan Title.(I sent coast CG copy of Michigan Title in my Name). The CG and states don't communicate when it comes to dual registering your boat (in my experience). Once I paid my boat load off (5 years later), bank sent me my release-of-lien letter. I took release-of-lien letter from bank and Michigan Title (I kept in hand) to Michigan Secretary Of State office and had them reissue title with Secured Party Interest removed from title (only cost $15.00). After that was done I let my CG registration lapse.I always just renew MC registration every three years with the state.
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm probably going to have to do something cause I just don't want to deal with getting hassled by the water cops.

You're just a red flag without MC numbers
Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Registered

Just got my official documentation in yesterday. Applied in early January, so it took about 4 months.

I do have a question:

The paperwork that was included said I MUST have the name of the vessel and the hailing port displayed and on the back of the boat? Is this absolutely necessary? I really don't want it on the boat
Old 04-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchLK
Just got my official documentation in yesterday. Applied in early January, so it took about 4 months.

I do have a question:

The paperwork that was included said I MUST have the name of the vessel and the hailing port displayed and on the back of the boat? Is this absolutely necessary? I really don't want it on the boat
Yes, absolutely. With no (state) registration numbers, and no Hailing Port/Name on the back; you are BEGGING for attention to be pulled over.

Go to your local sign & graphics shop, and have them whip up something that compliments the boat/colors. You could push your luck a little and go with something "not so contrasting" in color if you are looking to preserve clean lines. (As in, if your boat is light blue, go with blue lettering that is silver, grey, or a couple shades darker blue). It doesn't HAVE to be ugly block letters.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

you say you don't want hassled but you don't want to play by the rules, its the law....the name on the vessel is the identifier to the leo's.

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 04-20-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I do have a question:

My boat is documented. Much happier having a name on the back as opposed to numbers on both sides of the boat
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Registered

I can make the name look good and I do like the name I chose so its not a big deal. So for sure dont put the MC numbers on the side, correct?

Any ideas for fixing the permanent documentation number on the hull? I have the motor out at the moment so it would be a good time to do it
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I had mine made large and in charge! LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566559[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails USCG documentation-all-.jpg  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I can make the name look good and I do like the name I chose so its not a big deal. So for sure dont put the MC numbers on the side, correct?

Any ideas for fixing the permanent documentation number on the hull? I have the motor out at the moment so it would be a good time to do it
Just put vinyl graphics inside the engine compartment on the gunwale. Then square off a "frame" with painters tape and clearcoat over them. Done.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
I had mine made large and in charge! LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566559[/ATTACH]
I like that name! Looks good on the back.

I went with Fine Whine, as I have a fairly loud Whipple blower. I just am wondering if people will "get" it or not
Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

That's what I did.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just put vinyl graphics inside the engine compartment on the gunwale. Then square off a "frame" with painters tape and clearcoat over them. Done.