Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why Are Inadequate Drives Acceptable On Boats? >

Why Are Inadequate Drives Acceptable On Boats?

Notices

Why Are Inadequate Drives Acceptable On Boats?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Slide
I mean, if you run any equipment at or past its maximum rating, you're going to have reduced life at best. Most of the world's Bravo drives are putting around behind stock power and doing their jobs perfectly fine.
And staying in the water. Start flying the boat and issues happen. Not saying it's good but that is the reality.

Comparing to cars isn't fair, they have a LOT more money for R&D and because of volume can drive the price down.

I would like to see how many failures there are on some of the performance cars out there if they install slicks and start running at the drags a LOT. Think about it, one good long day at the drag strip isn't even a hour run in good choppy water when you think how many times the boat drives can be loaded and unloaded when flying.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

1. Market to small to develop a new better Bravo drive.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if its inadequate but more overpowered. Many of us are guilty, including me. Merc supplied XRs behind factory 600SCIs on our boat, boat came that way because they sell the package that way. Should have NXT or IMCO but original owner checked the cheaper box on the order. When drives fail it's my problem. Same thing with 496 Mag boats, they should have XRs , not X or Bravo. XRs on a 38 Top Gun with 525s is a perfect example, a lot of boat on drives that just can't handle the power to begin with. Running in the middle of a products service range will yield much better results than on the far reaches of it's capabilities. How many people on here build engines and just run the stock drive, then bash Bravos because they don't hold up. I will agree drive parts are very over priced, but when your the Goliath of your industry .....
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
1. Market to small to develop a new better Bravo drive.
There is a badass small drive company out there,adapted INDY car technology to drives, can't remember the name someone posted on OSO about them a few weeks ago. Very expensive but handle big HP and no failures. Maybe someone will chime in.

P.S. Here it is X Power http://www.xpowerdrive.com/site56/home.html

Last edited by VoodooRob; 04-21-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been running SCX's with blueprinted 1400 lowers swinging #6 wheels. It is a great setup. Just call up IMCO and order one or two.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 573 Likes on 344 Posts

If you were building a new boat what would get? SCX seems like the best deal. Asd 7s the next best deal. Then 6s which is what the fastest Vs still run.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM
CLA
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I re-did my boat when I bought it so the SCX made a lot of sense. Sold my XR/imco setup for the cost of one SCX and then bought the other. Props are $9500 but the slip numbers and performance is not even close to the bravo setup. You can also run a #6 tiebar.

When I buy again if new its 400R OB's but if used I'd go #6 or #8.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Saw that don't want to run a reverse rotation motor
Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
There is a badass small drive company out there,adapted INDY car technology to drives, can't remember the name someone posted on OSO about them a few weeks ago. Very expensive but handle big HP and no failures. Maybe someone will chime in.

P.S. Here it is X Power http://www.xpowerdrive.com/site56/home.html
This is interesting anyone have an idea on the Pricing?

Padraig
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hogie roll
If you were building a new boat what would get? SCX seems like the best deal. Asd 7s the next best deal. Then 6s which is what the fastest Vs still run.
Outboards ....All Day Long, then if I had to build a stern drive boat IMCO, if budget allowed X Power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.