Notices

Key west races

Old 09-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We have kept our reservations so far even though it'll be our 1st time at the races. We can have a good time pretty much anywhere and my wife is a trooper
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I am pretty certain that is short for the bar right next to Ricks place that is right behind the tree... I think that is the last place I saw Tank at while down there....
HAHAHA. Yea, that seems to be the place to see and be seen. Usually hanging with Spicy, Cosker, Jason, Dan and everyone else that walks by and hangs out. Just seems we never leave there for the most part lol
Old 09-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkaterMike82
It was hurricane Wilma in 2005. I was in KW and the show did go forward, but if you remember, everything was limited (food, mostly cash, alcohol, supplies, gas etc.) and very uncomfortable. Yes that hurricane was in late Oct but it was no where near as bad as Irma. I totally but totally agree that KW wants us to be there and for us to go help the economy but it will be some what limited as they got hit hard, much much much worst than Wilma in 2005. KW as it is prior to Irma has very limited docking. Lots of dock where destroyed. The bight not to bad but a lot of the other ones. I'm not trying so sound negative but i am being realistic. Many of you have never experience a high powerful storm like this. I have with Andrew and luckily Andrew didn't go the keys. I hope nothing for the best for the people in keys to get back on their feet like they seem to be doing and for 2017 KW race/poker run to be a success.
I get where you're coming from. It is a big deal, no doubt.

I frankly did not see personally any issues in 2005 though. We ran a Tiger down from TNT on the Thursday run that year. Were told about some submerged things to look out for. Made it down no problem, docked at Bight and besides seeing the furniture and appliances on side streets, wouldn't even notice the hurricane had wreaked havoc on the place just a little over a month before.

This November, it looks like Gilberts wont be able to host the lunch run (sonds like Stu's working on that) and yea, I presume some docks will have damage. Hopefully things run smoothly.

Last edited by thisistank; 09-19-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The main issue i see is going to be docking. Yes i read that Stu said he will be able to "accommodate" the boats. But as i said prior to this, docking has always been an issue not to mention all others that do their own run and book docks.

Last edited by SkaterMike82; 09-19-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Registered

Was sent this link to video of the harbor. You can see the docks did get quite a bit of damage http://www.facebook.com/fishmonsterm...5685946420419/

Last edited by drejustice; 09-19-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: fixing link
Old 09-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just called my hotel and they replied that they are open already and that by
Fantasy Fest you wont e able to tell there was ever a hurricane..
His words not mine.. :-)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by drejustice
Was sent this link to video of the harbor. You can see the docks did get quite a bit of damage www.facebook.com/fishmonstermagazine/videos/10155685946420419/
Can't open that link but this is sat footage a couple days after the hurricane from the national weather service.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

looks like most of the flooding and damage was to the south side of the island. You can zoom in very close onto the docks.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Sent by the place we have booked yesterday:

We are sure you have questions and concerns as a result of Hurricane Irma, and wish to assure you that thankfully the Avalon Bed and Breakfast along with most of Key West’s historic structures sustained almost no damage as a result of the storm. Key West is working tirelessly to repair all damage to our infrastructure and as of today has already restored power to 90% of the island. As a result we anticipate Key West being fully ready for visitors by mid October if not sooner.

We are using this time in between to ensure our property is better than ever for our guests return, and to allow our employees some of whom live outside Key West time to repair their homes where necessary.

It is our hope that you will keep your reservation with us as scheduled, and by doing so become a part of the rebuilding process. We can promise you our island will give you a very warm welcome, as you become part of our “One Human Family”.

We look forward to your visit and want you to know that we will do everything possible to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable.

Yvonne and the Avalon Staff.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thisistank
Can't open that link but this is sat footage a couple days after the hurricane from the national weather service.
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

looks like most of the flooding and damage was to the south side of the island. You can zoom in very close onto the docks.
I think it's fixed now. ;/ http://www.facebook.com/fishmonsterm...5685946420419/
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

No offense but why would the hotels say anything other than " things will be fine" ? Not saying they won't be but to be realistic it's not gonna be the same for a long time . We were also planning on doing the poker run after skipping last year. We're going with a bunch of guys though so we don't need much!! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.