Notices

Key west races

Old 09-12-2017, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key west races

I was looking to finalize my trip with to key west for the races but now I'm wondering if it's going to happen. Obviously all services are currently shut down south of key largo so any info that I'm getting is from the news. They are saying it could be months before key West is up and running. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 446 Likes on 244 Posts

theres no way its possable to fix and inspect the bridges and roads to get there let alone all the homes lost i don,t see any way possable with out a lot of hard feelings
Old 09-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm sure Matt/Jason will report on the status of both Key West and Clearwater after allowing a bit more time for the full impacts of the storm to be evaluated. I've got flights/rooms booked for both events so I too am waiting patiently for word on the upcoming races. However, I am far more concerned for the well being of those affected by the storm.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros
theres no way its possable to fix and inspect the bridges and roads to get there let alone all the homes lost i don,t see any way possable with out a lot of hard feelings
As of 5pm last night FDOT had inspected all bridges down to MM16, something like 35 of the 42 bridges and reported them safe for travel.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The pictures I am seeing on FB and the like indicate that the infrastructure is rough. Much of the middle keys Route 1 roadways and supporting areas (gas stations, restaurants) are completely covered in 6-18" of sand. There is a lot of washout on either sides of the roadways causing pavement collapses. That all has to be cleared before cleanup can begin. There are some 10,000 people left in the Keys/Monroe County that opted to ride it out, and they are talking about needing to evacuate many of them. Key West may have fared "OK", but the others slightly east of KW proper are in bad, bad shape. They are working on clearing the runways at Marathon and Key West airports so they can fly in supplies. I don't know where the fresh water for Monroe County comes from exactly, but it's somewhere along the island chain, and while the plant may be operating, there is at least one break in the system so the entirety of Monroe County is under a boil water advisory. The entire County/Keys is/are completely closed to anyone except emergency workers at this time.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

They made it happen after Andrew - S. Florida was a wreck but the show went on. I remember riding a scooter off of Duvall and all the houses had appliances and furniture on the sidewalks for pick up. I distinctly remember flying into Miami and looking down and every 5th house had tarps over their roofs and/or major roof damage. KW specifically pulled together to make sure the races / poker run happened. The event brings in like 5-8 million for the area so the city really pushes to make sure it happens. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out but I'd be surprised if it's cancelled.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Registered

Key West did very well compared the other keys. Some unfortunately lost everything 25 miles north. Provided they get electricity,water and a highway to once again bring food etc. back in there wouldn't be a problem to still have the races there. The highway and bridges would be the biggest concern.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Just saw on Facebook that it's questionable at this time. Was looking at flights until this came up.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Officials finally this morning opened entry into the Upper Keys for residents in Key Largo, Tavernier and Islamorada, up to mile marker 73, allowing residents to return home and see the damage for themselves.Florida's Department of Transportation is also working to repair two 300-foot stretches of road on the Keys that were washed out. They estimate repairs will be finished by tonight.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a home on Cudjoe Key MM23. Waiting in South Beach for the green light to get permission to go down to assess the damages. Will post up what I find. The press is really pushing the doomsday button. It is bad but not too much for the die hard Keys folk that live there. Prayers for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.