Divorce Advice from The OSO Brotherhood

Old 02-20-2020, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

"Why give her a diamond if she won't last forever??"
Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a mediator, try to avoid attorneys/court. Will save a lot of money if things can be worked out. But then again, you appear to be a bit outside the general population.

Sucks no matter what.....
Old 02-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Liquidate everything in plain view. Properties, business, investments, rings, assets, titties(if fake) Split the cash and start over. The last things I'd want to have happen are one of her awards to get huge appreciation later on, and to go to work every day busting my ass to pay her vaginamony. Maybe you can get sneaky and sell to a trusted associate's corporation at fire sale prices ($$ agreed to by her too), and repurchase after everything is finalized. I'd probably go that way with the business since it's my only child. Everything else is just stuff and can be repurchased without any memory of the other party.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Never4me
As the title describes, I assume this to be a good place for Divorce advice from gentlemen with significant assets, and higher than average net worth.

I have found myself in a difficult situation wherein Divorce seems imminent.

This is not a place I expected or desired for myself at this point in my life, but I need to prepare for the next chapter.

I guess since our children are grown it just amounts to a division of property, but a list of Do’s and Dont’s would be appreciated.

Houses
Business
Autos
Boats
Rv’s
Toy’s
Investments

How do you decide what to keep, and what to just give up?

What were your biggest mistakes in a divorce?

What do you wish you would have done different if you had the opportunity?

Thanks for your help guys. I will add questions to this post as they arise.
Mid 2000's, same scenario. We sat down, agreed on what to sell to split, what to keep & who wanted to buy the other out on some items, business s Corp, multiple homes, boat, cars etc. One attorney, no kids to think about. Took about 9 months to hammer out the details. 3500.00 attorney bill.
She did come back a few years later threatening to come after me for more, told her to go ahead. Never heard from her again. It can be done if you keep emotion out of it, treat it like a business deal because that's what it has come down to.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
i just read a thing last week where a dude burned up a million in cash just so he didn’t have to give it to her.

is she a ball buster and smart. Did she hire a solid divorce lawyer. If lawyers get involved it will cost you both a ton of money and they will drag it out to enrich themselves at both or your expenses. Might sell some toys to trusted friends now and get a jump on things. If you can keep the business that generate your income you can replace a lot of the toys. Good luck with it

Agreed just went thru the same avoid Lawyers if you can , almost had it worked out over coffee at starbucks till her Mom got involved and thought she should be entitled to everything in a 2.5 year marriage and (thank God ) no kids long story short after 2 years of me paying both Lawyer fees $ tens of thousands of dollars for hers & mine it will be finalized next week in court and she's getting no more then I offered her at Starbucks 2 years ago
Old 02-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by PartyBarge22
Agreed just went thru the same avoid Lawyers if you can , almost had it worked out over coffee at starbucks till her Mom got involved and thought she should be entitled to everything in a 2.5 year marriage and (thank God ) no kids long story short after 2 years of me paying both Lawyer fees $ tens of thousands of dollars for hers & mine it will be finalized next week in court and she's getting no more then I offered her at Starbucks 2 years ago
Yep, fortunately, I was able to convince my ex-wife to do it through mediation. We sold the house, paid off all debt and I have a reasonable child support payment. She still has friends telling her she was wrong and believe it or not, help her with attorney fees. In the end, I feel that she actually got the better "deal" but, if attorneys were involved, it would have been a catastrophic loss.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

First question my lawyer asked me was " Are you seeing another woman ? "
Old 02-24-2020, 07:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

I have a friend that is probably going to Jury trial- Will not be pretty.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
First question my lawyer asked me was " Are you seeing another woman ? "
Why would that matter?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
I have a friend that is probably going to Jury trial- Will not be pretty.
How do they do that in family court?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.