Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   200mph (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/39924-200mph.html)

tachyon 01-12-2003 10:51 AM

Thanks.

mcollinstn 01-12-2003 10:52 AM

tachyon - whats the latest on the Callan boat?

tachyon 01-12-2003 11:05 AM

mcollinstn,

Waiting to hear "official" word from APBA Offshore on weather they are going to allow turbine boats to race in APBA Offshore sanctioned races. They are contemplating creating a turbine class (might be called PXT). Unofficial indications are good.

Testing new drives (SCS) next week and preparing to run the kilo in Sarasota again around the end of the month.

mcollinstn 01-12-2003 11:13 AM

Yay.
Hope the class thing works out.
Hope the drives are satisfactory.
Looking forward to the kilo results.

Thumbs-up and fingers-crossed.

Mike

KiloKat 01-12-2003 12:02 PM

Simply put - running in excess of 200 mph in an offfshore boat requires the right conditions (wind, water, etc.), the right setup, and a catamaran. It is the same reason Callan didn't run 200 in Sarasota before they broke or JT and myself only ran 195.6 in Cleveland (15mph crosswind). The power, whether piston or turbine, is here now.

HiPerf2000 01-12-2003 05:59 PM

i thought i remember reading in Hotboat mag that the skater called the "Sourcerer" was capable of around 200....using twin 2000hp's. they had a 3 or 4 page write up on it with some awsome pictures....the mag is on my boat (all wrapped up for the winter). anyone else remember reading this???

Ron P 01-12-2003 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice show

ShipWrecked 01-12-2003 09:27 PM

Simply put - running in excess of 200 mph in an offfshore boat requires the right conditions (wind, water, etc.), the right setup, and a catamaran.
So, let's get Steve1 to give us a lesson, that guy can go 300 mph if he wants,,,just needs the right crew behind him!

Steve 1 01-12-2003 10:00 PM

ShipWrecked
First off I wish everyone involved the safest event possible.The element of Danger is so great and the best thought out safety capsules are just that period untested and waiting unfortunately to be tested!

To be honest 10 or more years ago we spent a lot of time working on the parameters of a 200 MPH Boat and the finial design was nothing like I see nowadays! Nothing. These are like 150 MPH boats pushed to 200+ Bad news!

Our mentality was to design a much faster boat and run it well below the therotical IE: a 300 mph Boat run at 200 those were NOT our actual values but an Idea of the thinking.

In short a for real 200 MPH + Cat would look vastly different than the Pointed Box like Affairs that I see now.

We tried all formats even spent a lot of time with a reverse 3 Point design. Again trash canned! The Catamaran always won.

Power is there nowadays but the drives are not quite, but that is an easy fix!

Mark in So. MD 01-13-2003 02:30 AM

hiperf2000,

Yeah, any poker runner knows that skater, truely awesome. Last time I talked to Rod in April 02 they were almost there. He said him and Ed will get it in due time, and to think it will be with pistons engines.