Notices

Duramax wins!

Old 01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ball Hitch Trailering

Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually 4x4 with 6.8L SEFI V-10 Automatic Transmission.

3.73 9,900
4.30 12,500
4.30 12,900 with 15,000lb capacity optional hitch receiver

Chevy 3500 Crew Cab Dooley 4x4 with Vortec 8100 V8 SFI Automatic

4.10 12,000

Cordell
Old 01-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Duila38

Guys!..... Guys!..... WHATS UP? This is a boating site so lets cut to the chase. My old man use to tell me..............
" Friends don't let friends drive Fords "
So I ask you all this question! and then I'll answer it.
How many of you have FORD motors in your boats??????
(No Bayliner owners with your 351 OMC packages respond please.)
NONE!!!!!! Its CHEVY ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!Thank God my 900SC Mercs Are'nt made by Ford, or your 500 Bulldogs or your 500EFI's.
Why does'nt Sterling build a Ford motor for Paul At Outerlimits??? Why does'nt Ford run at Lake X?
Because guys its a FORD!
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS
Chevy the reason are boats are so fast!!!!

Old 01-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Duila38
Guys!..... Guys!..... WHATS UP? This is a boating site so lets cut to the chase. My old man use to tell me..............
" Friends don't let friends drive Fords "
So I ask you all this question! and then I'll answer it.
How many of you have FORD motors in your boats??????
(No Bayliner owners with your 351 OMC packages respond please.)
NONE!!!!!! Its CHEVY ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!Thank God my 900SC Mercs Are'nt made by Ford, or your 500 Bulldogs or your 500EFI's.
Why does'nt Sterling build a Ford motor for Paul At Outerlimits??? Why does'nt Ford run at Lake X?
Because guys its a FORD!
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE FORDS
Chevy the reason are boats are so fast!!!!
This thread has started and ended with zero value, full of bias and subjectivity. It is nothing more than a few people defending what they drive or what their daddy told them to drive, because that's what he drove. Drag racing and pulling each other doesn't prove crap in the real world. Everybody has an opinion; good for you!
Also, what engine is in a boat is COMPLETELY unrelated to what is in a truck, and the fact an engine hasn't been tested in a boat for consumer use doesn't make it a bad engine. To each his own. Chevy was chosen by Merc, not you, and if they had chosen Ford, that's what you'd be using, because with the stranglehold they have on this industry, you wouldn't have a choice, would you?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Registered

Originally posted by AMBUSHER
Funny my owners manual on my 2001 8.1,4.10 burban rates it at 12,000lbs
I got it out of a 2003 book because I have been looking at trucks.
Check it out on the chevy website. Click on "Trailering" in the left column then scroll down and click on "Trailering Specks"

I looked under "ball hitch trailering"

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/index.html
Cordell
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The CHEVY 2500HD will pull #12000 with a 3:73 AXEL
The FORD will only do #9900?
Old 01-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Tinkerboater
The CHEVY 2500HD will pull #12000 with a 3:73 AXEL
The FORD will only do #9900?
My intention is not to dis-credit either manufacture I am only trying to give the facts as I read them.
I got this out of the 2003 Ford RV & Trailer Towing Guide.
Cordell
Attached Thumbnails Duramax wins!-11.jpg  
Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Semper Fi
gmhdfan,
Everyone has their own opinion and I can respect that. I respect your opinion, but the facts are the facts. You were bashing the diesels pretty hard(read your posts)--that's fine like I said, you have your opinion, but when I lay out some serious proof of how superior the diesel is, you seem to try to discredit the diesel every time. It's obvious you don't like diesels, but the true fact is that they are superior. You don't see 18 wheelers on the road with gas motors! I just want alot of people to know how awesome the diesel is and the maintenece really is quite inexpensive. Alot of people think the diesel is costly, expensive to run and that is so far from the truth!! Over 75% of the Ford Super Duty's produced today are diesels. I am a TRUE believer that when you buy a big truck, the diesel is the only way to go. To me, and alot of other people, there is NO comparison of the gas to the diesel. When I buy a new Ford this year, it will most definately be a diesel. We do like our diesels!!!

By the way, I knew someone who had an older Ford 1 ton with the 454. It was a beast! To be honest with you, it could pull just as weight as my PSD around town, not quite as good as the PSD on the hills. The fuel consumption was another story--holy ****, that thing could suck down some fuel! It would literally use 3x the amount of fuel as the PSD. It also had to be rebuilt after 100K of heavy pulling. It's nice to fill up your tank and go 600 miles on a tank before looking for fuel again.
Semper Fi, Please read my posts. Every truck in my fleet is a diesel. We have 2 Ford PSD trucks, and had a few other ones in the past. This is REAL world experince by a TOW TRUCK co!! We had a F450 PSD rollback that was the biggest piece of **** I have ever seen. Ford ending buying it back before we lemon lawed it. That truck broke down all over the country and spent more time being towed, than towing something It would smoke alternator plugs monthly. Fords fix was to put 2 alternaters on it. Smoked the fuse box 2 times! Smoked the tranny 3 times !!! and this was a brand new truck. We had some 7.3 International motor trucks that didn't hold up very well. We are happy with the International 6 cylindes that we have. In all fairness we hade a GMC Top Kick with a 6 cylinder cat motor and it was junk to. Those motors are so bad that Sea Ray stop using them in their big boats. I have had 6.2 Chevy, 6.5 turbo diesel trucks so I think I know a little about the subject. I really don't like the smell of a diesel motor, I don't like haveing to fill up a diesel motor. Might as well wash you hands with Go JO (Diesel Cream) before you eat lunch. Someone here can run the numbers that I gave and will see they don't really work out to benifit the extra cost of buying the diesel option and then paying so much more per gallon for diesel than gas. This may not be the case in other parts of the country. But it is a FACT here in Fla. I really think the PSD is slow and I want the power of a big block no matter how much it costs for my personal truck. Lets be real most guys don't tow that many miles with their trucks, and don't keep them long enough to have it pay off. Now add in the cost of a couple injectors ($200-$300) and you just blew your cost savings for the year. Correct me if I am wrong but don't you deliver boats around the country with your truck? If so maybe it pays off for you. But lets be honest the rest of these guys spend more time driving around town, going to work, or home depot with their trucks. The only positive thing I see with buying a Ford is they cost a couple of thousands $$ less than a Chevy. But you get what you pay for. Now I an not trying to insult anyone here but have you ever noticed the owner of a Chevy truck has a higher education than a Ford person. The farther you go out in the country the more Fords you find (I think it's a red neck thing) Please someone that has more time than me run the numbers that I gave and see if I'm not right. And wnen you run the #'s use 8 MPG for the Chevy big block motor. And lets see where the cards fall. How long or how many miles will you have to put on the PSD before it pays off. Than be honest how many miles do you drive a truck and how long do you really keep them. I think some people might be suprised.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:56 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,727 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Gmhdfan,
Gas prices in florida suck but yes diesel does cost more!!! when i purchased my 2001 GMC dually, i was concerned with gas mileage at first but glad i chose the gas motor over the diesel.
it has the same towing capacity as the diesel, which says a lot for the 8.1, as for driving, ive driven the diesels as well, and do enjoy the launch of the line the big block provides. as for towing, i pulled a 38 hustler from jersey to st louis through the mountains in pennslyvanna, with no problems at all, and plenty of accelarator left for passing when needed. As for the intieror the gm is soooooo much better than the ford, mine is the extend cab and the back provides plenty of room to crash when tired as well.
what ever you spend your money on, buy what makes you happy,
test drive all and figure it out. if you buy the wrong truck, hopefully your smart enough not to make the same mistake twice. One last note , i could get a deal on a dodge anytime i want, but i have always passed due to a supieror product from GM.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by gmhdfan
Now I an not trying to insult anyone here but have you ever noticed the owner of a Chevy truck has a higher education than a Ford person. The farther you go out in the country the more Fords you find (I think it's a red neck thing)
Wow- I'm sure that tow truck business you work for is full of upper-class citizens and PhD's. You stepped WAY over the line with that remark in your over-zealous attempts to defend your beloved GM. You undoubtedly also have accurate statistics to back up such a remark? I'm sure you do. I would have to say you owe an apology to a lot of well-educated OSO members that happen to drive Fords.
Absolutely unbelievable!

Last edited by jafo; 01-20-2003 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Registered

I can't believe people pay $2200 for a Ford V-10. The 8100 is a $700 option from GM.

Quick Reply: Duramax wins!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.