Notices

Duramax wins!

Old 01-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Searay Jim, the customer that has the duramax changed his tires to 285's.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by outlawinil
gmhdfan--Next your going to tell us semi trucks should have 454 gassers in them. You say it's not a poor man's sport and in the same sentence your worried about the extra cost of diesel? Here in the midwest where it was -4 last night, 89 octane is $1.379 and diesel at the same station is $1.349 our math is different than yours.
For the record I add the extra cost of the the diesel (.10- .20) over gas and substract that from the extra MPG I get from the stink motor. I live out where its peaceful and I hate having to listen to that rattle trap warm up in the morning. Hell I can here my neighbors F450 running in the morning and his driveway is 400 yards away. Nothing smells nicer that a new day in Fla. unless you have a stink motor warming up in the driveway. Please don't take this as a Ford bashing, I think they are nice looking trucks. But if you want me to tell you about the F450 Rollback that Ford had to buy back so it didn't get lemoned law here in Fla. I whould be happy to tell you. And for the record Chevy had to buy back a 98 Corvette Conv because of 6 speed tranny problem so no one is perfect. And for you Die Hard Ford guys do a search on goggle for Art Carr Tranmissions. He will build you a transmission that WILL not break, he builds his own convertors and hard parts. In the long run it's worth spending the extra money up front. So you don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere while your on vacation. A couple of years ago I was building a 97 4X4 Full size 2 door Blazer (Tahoe) with a 383 stroker motor, Vortech supercharger, and a NOS fogger kit. (I know more dollors than sence) Put 456 gears with the biggest tires that would fit. Broke 2 rear ends, than put a 3/4 ton from a 454 SS truck (still has 6 bolt wheels axles) than smoked 2 4L60E transmissions. Talked with Art Carr and he told me that he could build me a 4L60E tranny that would not brake with even more HP than I had. Just had to buy his convertor too. Which he will reflash once for free. I stepped up to the pump and got it, the convertor was HUGE!!! Just about touched the flywheel when it was slid back into the tranny. Well long story short it worked great, and in 4 wheel high would blow the doors off just about everything at a red light that felt froggey I was amazed the front end or transfer case never let go. When I turned the truck back in I sold the motor and tranny and put a late model junkyard motor/trans back in. Sold the blower and tranny on ebay. (gmhdfan on ebay too) A guy from N.C. bought the tranny for his Camero and when we called Art Carr they said they would still reflash the convertor for him for free if he thought the stall was to much for his car. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! Hope this insight helps someone out, thats what this board is all about.

I still have the ported and flowed LS1 heads off the Vett if anyone is interested. They have about 1500 miles on them. Also still have The NOS fogger system for a 350 Vorteh motor still plumbed on the the intake manifold. Great for those steep boat ramps.

Freinds don't let freinds drive FORDS

Just kidding (sort of)

Pete
Old 01-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Diesel is the same price as regular unleaded around here, I think tax on fuel would be the same
Old 01-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Registered

They make a ass for every seat

We agree on that

01-18-2003 06:31 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Old 01-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Federal taxes are the same but state taxes are different from state to state. That's why it's so cheap in Ga. Where are all my Fla. bros to back me up this? I'll post a pix of the fuel prices tonight when I get home. If no one comes to back me up on how much more diesel is to SURER UNLEADED gas.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:54 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

well we will see i just bought a 350 with a 6.0 i get it in about 4 weeks i will let ya know i drove chevys and fords liked the fords better seemed faster with no load
Old 01-18-2003, 11:03 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by outlawinil
They make a ass for every seat

We agree on that

01-18-2003 06:31 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Hey BRO you better edit that post and put some smilely faces on it!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIESEL MAINTENENCE

Originally posted by jdnca1
gmhdfan has a valid point. Probably 97% of diesel buyers never tow enough or keep their trucks long enough to justify all the added expense of maintaining them. Sure if you're going to consistantly drag around heavy loads and/or keep a truck for 250,000+ miles a diesel is tough to beat. How many really do this? very few i'd bet. My 97 454 burb had 200,000 on it when I sold it and it still didn't burn any oil and had the original tranny in it.
I gotta put my input in this one because alot of people think that a diesel is expensive, and it's really very inexpensive.
The regular maintenence on a Ford PSD (don't know about other motors) has been quite inexpensive to be honest with you.
1. K&N Air filter (aftermarket) just keep it clean--will last a long time $50
2. Oil Change and filter every 4K-5K (Walmart-they use Shell Rotella and a Ford filter!!)$40 ----yes, I said $40 !!
3. Fuel filter change every 12K-15K (Ford's price approx $44) I found one (Racor) online for approx. $11.49 + shipping!!!!
(http://www.dieselpage.com/main.shtml) You can do this so easily-it takes about 4 min.
4. Tranny fluid changed every 15K --usual price $75-$125 depends on where you go.
5. If 4x4, then have the bearings re-packed @ 90K miles. Approx. $185.
Knowing you bought a DIESEL...............................PRICELE$$

Last edited by Semper Fi; 01-18-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIESELS ARE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!

Here is a "National Average" of fuel costs in the U.S. as you can see below. The price of Diesel (on a national average)is more expensive than regular but IS cheaper than super unleaded.

U.S. Gas Prices
January 10, 2003/ One Month Ago/ One Year Ago
Regular ($1.47) ($1.37) ($1.13)
Premium ($1.62) ($1.51) ($1.24)
Diesel ($1.54) ($1.46) ($1.23)
Source: AAA
(National Average)

If you drive an average of 15K miles a year in a DIESEL you would spend approx. $1,321. /yr in fuel costs----15K miles divided by 16MPG (average) =937.50 (gallons of fuel) x $1.41 (avg. diesel $ per gallon--(I avg. out Jan 10 '03/1 month ago/ 1 yr ago)

Do the same for a GAS motor......... You would spend approx. $1,799. in GAS --------15K miles a yr divided by 11MPG (Average---I'm Being generous here!!)=1,363 (gallons of fuel) X $1.32 (Average REGULAR gas price from Jan 10 '03/1 month ago/ 1 yr ago.

THIS IS A BASIC COMPARISON, BUT THE SAVINGS IN FUEL (DIESEL)
IS APPROX. $478.00 A YEAR
You pay more for the diesel--BUT for the longevity, fuel savings and resale value of the diesel is KING in my book. This is also a "non-towing" comparison. If you are towing... the $$ savings are even better in the diesel.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a war here, just giving the facts and my opinion of the diesels. Everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited by Semper Fi; 01-18-2003 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:43 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Run these Numbers and how much is a diesel option?
Attached Thumbnails Duramax wins!-picture.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Duramax wins!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.