Notices

Baja boats

Old 01-22-2003, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Warp & Woof
Baja Daze

I wasn't trying to correct you...thanks for the info. I learn something new every day
I didn't take it that way at all, please don't misunderstand. I learned something too.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2003, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baja's quality has improved over the years.

But as far as price goes I really don't see them being much less than most. Yes there are a few that are much more money. Baja advertises base price, no frill, no option boats. Compared to many that have more standard options they are about the same. Add the options to a Baja or strip down the other. There really are some brands offering as good of "bang for the buck" as Baja. The really good thing about Baja though, is the availability. You won't have to wait for your dream to come true.

Brian
Old 01-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ron & Carrie...

I've been watching this thread with great interest. I was hoping you would see some actual customer experiences both pro and con without it turning into a "Bashfest". I'm glad to see how the thread ran.
That being said, I've already been spreading the word around to folks up here, in St. Louis and at the Ozarks looking for boats that would fit your needs and price range. I'm also hoping that the boatshow this weekend will help you guys with options that you may not have realized are available to you.
I look at it this way, I'd rather make sure you guys get a good solid boat now, otherwise I'll be the one working on it this summer.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Baja

The major factor here is weather your planning new or used.
Te older Bajas, lik the 250ES were solid boats, heavy but solid.
I can''t say the same for their newer boats. Builders are going lighter to keep top end up.

Baja does offer a hell of a lot of boat for the money. This may be your deciding factor. If you're spending 40k, Baja is great. If you're going 200k, you've got some better choices.

If you run in flat lakes or rivers... the Baja is fine. Go offshore in big seas every week... and that's another story.

Only you can be the judge. Do yourself some justice by properly shopping. Proper shopping means going to view their factory, as well as other builders. Any builder that won't take you on a factory tour at a moment's notice is hiding something..

Baja owners- PLEASE don't take my comments as an insult to your boats.

That 36 with the red dually looks great!
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-24-2003, 11:35 AM
willpower

No offence to you Tim, but have been in a New Baja Lately??

They are far stronger than the older ones. If you are running in flat lakes or rivers, than I don't think that a Baja would be a good choice. Because they are much heavier than most other boats with the same length and do not have a stepped hull, they are not suited for speed. With the deep "V", they are excellent rough water boats. If it is flat water that you are in they would be much better off with a lighter, quicker boat if that is what they are looking for.

I have had three Baja's and have had no problems at all! I have used them in all of the great lakes for the poker runs as well as Florida. No, they are not as fast as thier counterparts, but they offer an excellent and safe ride!

Old 01-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I owned a 212 Islander and a 272 both bought new in 1996 (I got the "itch"). They were decent boats. Boating on Lake Ontario I was tightening EVERYTHING every week. The 272 had a lag mounted 502 Mag MPI, it should have been through bolted. I shopped a 29 outlaw and a 31 sonic in 1997 (that itch again). Payments were equal, the outlaw had 7.4's and the sonic 454 Mags. So I don't really think they are "a lot of boat for the money". SHOP AROUND ! You may find better at the same price. Don't kid yourself, Baja builds a nice boat (I love the interiors of the new ones) but they are middle of the road for quality and rigging. My wife (1 season boating experience) and I were checking out a 36 Outlaw, she was on for 5 minutes and said " This isn't built like your boat is it?" If the deal is right and your not in big water all the time go with a Baja, but be sure you aren't paying enough to have gotten a better boat. There is NO comparison of build quality or rigging between my sonic and my bajas, but prices were very close. I got a good deal on the Sonic, and I think the Baja dealer was hosing me, so that may be part of it. That said, shop around, you never know what deals you may find.

Please don't take this as bashing, its just what my experiences were. No more, no less.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've enjoyed all 3 of mine and would buy another.
1998 232 Islander 7.4 (got the 25 OL)
Tow Rig
04 Excursion EB PSD 4x4 6" lift 35's
MY PICS: http://community.webshots.com/user/skygod73