Notices

Baja boats

Old 01-20-2003, 04:59 PM
BankerRon

Default Baja boats

What is the word on these boats? Anyone know anything about them? Are they a good boat to get?

Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, it really depends on the year, model, and the w3ay the previous owner (s) took care of it. I've seen some older ones (late 80's) that look like new. Then I've seen some beat up newer ones too. If you go to look at one, look for stress cracks in the gussets on the deck (everywhere there is a curve or angle). Common on Baja's (mine has many, drives me nuts).

Are you looking at a particular model? Year? Power???
Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are well made. Mine is 13 years old and I've never had a problem with it (that wasn't self inflicted ) It doesn't even show a stress crack anywhere. Overall my experience says Baja makes a good product.
Attached Thumbnails Baja boats-mvc-005fa.jpg  
Old 01-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Charter Member #300
Charter Member

owned three
Old 01-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of boat for the $$.

Not the quality of say a Cig or some of the other custom builders but not the price, they aren't a bayliner either. They are large for their size. Drove past Big thunder and stopped and looked at a 29 tonight. It's a big boat. I thought my Pantera 28 was pretty good size but the baja is bigger. Baja doesn't glass the hull and deck together, they do screw it together and "bond" it. I think they are good looking boats.

Like 'Foul says it really depends on care. Seems like they also had some stringer problems in the past but I haven't heard much about it lately. They do offer a lot options for a production boat builder.

A lot of them are out there.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:47 PM
toonatime

A Baja is a great boat at a reasonable price..Need to know size you are thinking..I had 91 26' w blower and 96 272 w 454Mag..the 272 ran a lot better in rough..never had a stress problem..never had upholstery or glass repair..Bajas are better looking and more passenger comfort ie bolster seats, thick sundeck pad, higher headroom in cabin..and when you go alone many models have a window to open so you can come across the front deck & get in easily..and you can sell them used quickly..
Sold my blower boat and 272 in short order!!
sky

Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Registered

Some new ones, I think the 27 or 29's have had some stringer issues, and quite a bit on some horrible glass and gel coat jobs. What size are you looking for?

As others have said before, a lot of boat for the money.... Our 1990 19' is actually 21' 8" with the swim deck, but it is a glassed in swim deck, not a metal bolt on.... see what i mean in the pic below.

As for problems with the boat- None that werent caused by stupidity (ie, mom and dad beaching her on 4th of july weekend loosening the plug causing a sinking, or some idiot flying through the docks out of control and hitting the boat.)

Swim deck Link
http://www.stupidfastboats.com/shoot/jvm1028.jpg

2 Running pics
http://www.stupidfastboats.com/shoot/jvm1023.jpg
http://www.stupidfastboats.com/shoot/jvm1024.jpg

Good luck with deciding on what year/boat to get.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Have considered the 36' Outlaw...HUGE boat for it's size and they can be found for reasonable $. Sky...still got that Donzi down there? The 33'? We had discussed it a couple times...see it's not on trader, did it sell?

Last edited by Rippem; 01-20-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Default Re: Baja boats

Originally posted by BankerRon
What is the word on these boats? Anyone know anything about them? Are they a good boat to get?
Never heard of them.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good stuff. You really can't go wrong, they make a nice boat and you get a lot of boat for the money. The hardware, electronics, etc. are pretty much top of the line industry standard; Gaffrig gauges, Clarion audio, etc. Good rigging. They're structurally sound, employ quality materials and are sharp looking boats. The factory is easy to work with. Opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one and this is mine. Opinion, that is.

I'm on my second, and I couldn't be happier. Never had a problem, no blemishes, no cracks. I'm satisifed.

Quick Reply: Baja boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.