Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What fairing do you guys think I should go with???? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41717-what-fairing-do-you-guys-think-i-should-go.html)

Cord 01-23-2003 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have some other shots that I could also post.

Miller 01-23-2003 05:18 PM

eMotiondriver 01-23-2003 05:28 PM

Jon,

I had a small fairing on my 38 Scarab and it was great for me, but I noticed that in the back seat around the engine air intakes above the rear seat the air was blowing foward. Aynthing in cabin loose was blown around.

So if you need air, to any type of scope on hatch it would not get their.

Just a thought..

Good Luck, Doug

Audiofn 01-23-2003 05:34 PM

Doug thanks for the info on that. As I read you string all I was thinking was who cares about the people in back :D:D. NOW THE ENGINES on the other hand................. :D:D I do not plan on putting any huge engines in hear but ya never know. :D:D

Jon

eMotiondriver 01-23-2003 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You maybe able to see if you blow the picture up?????
Bad pic but if my friend were sitting down you would see there hair blowing forward. The air did not get to the rear bulkhead above the seats. AIR INTAKES were right there...

WHITE-DIAMONDS 01-23-2003 08:18 PM

Jon - the fairing looks like it is coming together nicely!! I really like the material you used. I am picking up my fairing tomorrow for my Excalibur from a local fab shop, it took the 3 months to build!! I guess it turned out to be much more difficult for them than they thought. (THEY ARE WISHING THEY CHARGE ME THREE TIMES AS MUCH!) he he he!

I was curious on if you are going to paint, glass, or what this fairing. How are you going to get it matched up to the gelcoat color on your boat? I have seen many fairing that people have added on that look very "obvious" they have added them on after the fact.....the whites are not anywhere close to the same color tone.

I have found a near match powder to my gelcoat for powder coating my fairing. I think (hope) it will turn out as planned. Plus powder coating is very, very tough. I will try to post some pics of the bare aluminum fairing this weekend. I hope to have it powder coated and installed by next weekend.

I really like your lip/fin idea, it actually crossed my mind when I gave the fab shop my templates, but being that I am 6' 2" tall and the way the Excal deck is designed (low), I really didn't think it would really help with the wind deflection.......although it would make it look that much cooler!

Best of luck with your project!!

Spencer - WHITE DIAMONDS :D

Audiofn 01-23-2003 08:46 PM

I am going to Gel Coat it for sure. I am not worried about the match for now. I am going to go with a pure white for now. The current deck will be way yellow so that is a bummer but I will live with it for now and deal with the match later when I refinish the deck.

Jon

boot 01-23-2003 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI Jon ! Here is my input .
Mine has a rolled lip above the windshield . It was like that when I got it . I am told the guy used a large peice of aluminum pipe cut into peices to fabricate it . It is done perfectly ! Everyone thinks it is factory . It is not very high . In fact , when seated ,it is about at my chest height . At 80-90 mph I just get a light breeze through my hair ! NO WIND IN THE FACE !!:D NO GLASSES NEEDED !!:D Also there is very little noise . You can talk to everyone around you in a normal voice at 70 mph. But you do here more of those dam blower belts !!:rolleyes: IF you want better pictures e-mail me . [email protected] JOE

boot 01-23-2003 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

boot 01-23-2003 09:18 PM

OH , And my point was ,,,, The top lip points straight up !

I have been on many fountains and sonics with an extra lip on top and they dont' work near as good .