Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What happens when you brake a drive in a twin? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41815-what-happens-when-you-brake-drive-twin.html)

SR-24 01-24-2003 09:43 AM

What happens when you brake a drive in a twin?

Are you able to control it ok with the other drive or does it get really harry?

packinair 01-24-2003 09:50 AM

I have lost a motor several times in my cat at good speeds.. my biggest advice is learn to say a hail mary in less than 2 seconds

SR-24 01-24-2003 09:58 AM

Did you dart one way really hard or what?

Steve A.K.A RAMPAGE 01-24-2003 10:10 AM

One of my engines just up and quit on the way back from Hammond last summer,while running about 60.The boat did pull to the side,but nothing severe.However getting it back on plane with only 1 engine was impossible.
Steve

GLH 01-24-2003 10:13 AM

I've blown a drive in my 29' Fountain going about 75MPH in the middle of Biscayne Bay in early 1990's and I felt and heard the noise and slowed down when it happened nothing major in regards to being scary in that occurrence. It was a major pain going back to port on idle that thing did not get up on plane with one drive. (My girlfriend got frisky while we were put-put-ing back to the ramp that nice sunny winter afternoon alone in the middle of the bay but I was in no mood for that s%&t after breaking my boat)
So in answer to your question;
What happens when you break a drive in a twin?
You don't feel like getting any, that was about it for me in that occurrence!

SR-24 01-24-2003 10:18 AM

Sounds like it's not too bad especially if you have hydraulic steering. I bet you could get into some trouble if you were into a pretty hard turn though.

MnFastBoat 01-24-2003 10:19 AM

ever drop an anchor off the port side with attatched to your front side cleat :)

Hang on baby YOUR TAKING A FAST TURN :(
I have had mine shut down at less then 50 and I did a hard right :( it did not throw me out of hte seat but it startled the hell out of me nad I got off hte sticks asap. It did just that a hard right. No spin, no blow out just a right turn when you THOUGHT you were goin straight.
Was in someone else's 34'Offshore and he lost a prop shaft. His was not as a severe turn, but in a V the drives are alot closer.
Guess mostly it would also depend it you blow a drive apart? Blow a whole gimbal assembly? loose a lower
or just loose power.
But the effects have been descibed to me and witnessed by me that it feels like you dropped and anchor :)

catlover 01-24-2003 10:24 AM

You have to pull your wallet out!

JUSTONCE 01-24-2003 10:26 AM

Ya in a vee its no big deal other than the planing issue, never been in a cat that lost one but seems like the cat guys(packin,mnfastboat) get a different effect.

SR-24 01-24-2003 10:34 AM

Yeah, that's what scares me because that's what I'm thinking about buying is a twin cat. And by the sounds of it that's what happened to the guys in the HTM crash.